You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00083 Oct 2004

Dear Srimathi Vaidhehi

This refers to your mail dated    onthe above topicI didn't pose a question wrt
sEshatvam and pAratantryam in
the first place. I only asked wrt "making oneself ready". This
addresses the issue of sahEtukam/nirhEtukam and
freewill!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here ends my question
The point raised in your mail was as follows.

 I figure out from "pAratantryam is making 'oneself' ready"
that jIvAtma has independence!!! Correct me if I'm wrong/misread
your post. I may think that I deserve the krpa of the Lord but the
Lord may think differently. How can I act in such a way that it only
gives pleasure to the Lord? Even if I give displeasure(according to
my eyes) He may lick it as a pleasure(according to His eyes). In
effect, my act shouldn't become a cause for Him to react(that's why
His grace is called "causeless/nirhEtuka grace/mercy/krpa")!

 You have raised important questions of Sahetuka krupai and Nirhetuka krupai of
the Lord. It will merit a serious discussion from the learned disciples of the
Sampradayam.It is one of the doctrinairre differences between vadagalai and
thengalai sampradayams.
Ofcourse the differnces are only 'varthabetham' and not 'yojanabhedham'.

Nodoubt, the Lord is a swatantran and Krupai of the Lord cannot be taken as
granted.
It is his prerogative
In one of the earlier mails, it has been mentioned that paratantriyam is not
beining like 'achit'.
Bhagavat Ramanuja prays to the Lord in his Sharanagathi Gadyaam that he be
endowed with parabhakthi,paragnanam and paramabhakti which entails the grace of
the Lord.

He prays to the Lord in his mangala sloka of Sribhashyam that his knowledge
take the form of Bhakti .

It has been said In the commemtaries to Divya Prabhantam that the Lord has
given the vedas and Upanishads and then Bhagavat Gita so that  people can
follow them.When He saw that only a few understood them and followed,He has
sent Azhwars and Acharyas so that people can easily emulate them being of their
own kind.
It is incumbent therefore that the prapannas follow the teaching of
Purvacharyas which pleses the Lord.
The Lord emphasises the importance of everyone performing his duties when he
says "Karmanyeva adhikaraste, ma paleshu kathachana' .

Any inadequacies in my language  be excused.
Adiyen Ramanujadasan
Soundararajan.

AzwAr emberumAnAr jeeyAr thiruvadigalE saranam

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.itolB/TM