You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00214 Oct 2004

PeriyAzhwar is known for his pongum parivu on Perumal. PoochUttal is the part
where he describes about pushpa kaimkaryam to Perumal. Here is an interesting
reference on the pushpa kaimkaryam from his pasuram,

?Senbaga malligaiOdu sengazhuneer iruvaychi, enbagar poovum konarndu indrivai
chUtta vaavendru?..?

He clearly talks about the flowers offered to Perumal. Let us now try to
correlate this pasuram to flowers offered by Kurumbarutha Nambi. Nambi offered
8 types of flowers. This count refers to following eight characters with which
he offered the actual mud flowers to ThiruVenkadamudayAn:

   Ahimsa
   Indriya Nigraham
   Daya
   Kshama
   Shanti
   Tapas
   Dyanam
   Satyam

Ahimsa refers to non-violence. Non-violence does not limit just to the physical
level. A person should never offend any creature by manas, vAk or kAyam (mind,
words and bodily activity). All these three put together are known as Trividha
ApachAram. This can be referred to Swami Ramanujar?s Gadyatrayam.

Indriya Nigraham refers to control of senses. This is very difficult for anyone
on this earth. Even Azhwars have sung about the problems created by senses. Let
us look at few references from Azhwar?s pasurams.

NammAzhwar in his fifth 10, sings on Vanamamalia Perumal by surrendering to Him
explaining His Akinchanyatvam. Here is the reference,

?Agatra nee vaitha mAya val aimpulangalAm avai nangu arinthanan, agatri ennayum
nee arunchEtril veezhthi kandai?.?

He pleads to Deivanayagan saying that Deivanayagan was the one who has given
these senses to Azhwar and has made him fall into the samsara cycle (he refers
to this as swampy or muddy place). Quoting this aspect, Azhwar request Perumal
to take him back to Paramapadam.

NammAzhwar again talks about senses. Here is another reference,

? aivar thisai thisai valindhu ettugindranar?

There was a rich man. One day, five thieves robbed his house and kept the pack
of jewels and other valuables on his head, and each one pulled him from one
direction. This is the kind of impact that senses have on us. Hence it is very
important to control the senses. There are many references from Azhwars?
pasurams on this aspect.

Another interesting reference is from Thirumagai Azhwar?s pasurams on
Amaruviappan in ThiruAzhundur.

?aivar ennul Pugundhu ozhiyaadhu, aruvith thinRida anji, nin adaindhEn.."

Here Azhwar says that, ?These five senses have entered me and torturing me, and
are eating me up. Scared of these senses I am coming to you and falling at your
feet. You are the protector?

Thondaradippodi Azhwar was even scared in putting words on the impact of senses
in the stage of youth. Hence he referred to it as ?adhu? in his pasuram,

?vEda nool pirAyam noorum?. AdhalAl piravi vEndEn ArangamA nagarulAnE?

Here is an easier method taught by our Acharyas to keep the senses under
control. We can do all that we want to with our senses by orienting our
thoughts and actions towards Bhagavat and Bhagavata kaimkaryam.

There is no control on our senses to enjoy the sight of Perumal and Thayar. One
easiet way is to visit Divya Desams. Similarly, we can listen to Bhagavat
vishayam. Here is a reference for Kulasekara Azhwar?s PermAl Thirumozhi on
longing for the joy of senses in worshipping Perumal and Thayar,

yenn KaNkaL neermalha yenRu kolO niRkum naaLE

He sings longing for the darshan of Ranaganathan. Similarlynin the same 1o, he
also longs for a place in Bhagavata Goshti,

Arangan muttrathu adiyAr thangal inbamigu kuzhuvukandu yAnum isaindhudanE endru
kolO irukkum nAlE

If we realise the fact that even Azhwars have sung on the influence of senses
and stayed away from their impact, we will surely be able to control our
senses.

Let us look at other kinds of pushpams in the following postings?

aDiyEn,

ramanan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/.itolB/TM