You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2005

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00176 Oct 2005

Sri:

These are the dates I have for the time periods
of these acharyas:

1. From Periya Thirumudi Adaviu, Pillai Lokacharyar
was born in the year 1205. The year of his passing
away from this world is not 100% clear. It happened
during one islamic invasion into Srirangam. But
there were multiple invasions. If we take it that
he left Srirangam in the invasion of 1311, then
his period is 105 years: 1205-1311. This is the
most commonly accepted time period. Some state that
Namperumal and Pillai Lokachariar exited Srirangam
in 1327, which would place his time period at
1205-1327 (121 years).

2. It is said that Namperumal blessed Vadakku
Thiruveethip Pillai to have a son like Him (in
contrast to Pillai Lokacharyar, who was blessed
to be born like Nampillai by Nampillai himself)
during the first birthday celebration of Pillai
Lokacharyar. Azhagiya Manavala Perumal Nayanar
is said to have been born a year after that. That
would place his birth year at 1207. He is said
to have lived 100 years. His period therefore
is 1207-1307 or 1308.

3. Periyavachchan Pillai's time period is
1167-1262.

4. Vedanta Desikan's accepted time period is
1268-1369.

If Vedanta Desikan indeed reached Srirangam at
the age of 40, then that would be the year 1308.
Which would mean that Azhagiya Manavala Perumal
Nayanar had indeed already attained his acharyan's
divine feet by then. If there was any possible
overlap (which would have been miniscule), there
is no evidence to show that the two had any
significant interaction.

adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan

--- vinjamoor_venkatesh <vinjamoor_venkatesh@xxxxxxxxx>

http://farechase.yahoo.com