You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Sep 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00051 Sep 2004

Sep 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

> Sri:
> Srimathe Ramanujaya nama:
> Srimad Vara Vara Munaye nama:

dear Ms Nappinnai,

namskArams.

What is sAttvikam? If we look into its meaning, we will understand
whether sAttvika and other two ahankArams are there.

> Dear Vishnu & other devotees,
>
>            Humble praNAms to all. I have forgotten the question
> itself with which this thread started! BTW, are there rAjasic and
> tAmasic ahankAram(like sAthvik)??? Just curious to know:-) That's
> all.

>            I thought(!!! I could be wrong but refer to SVB:160-168)
> sEShatva(ananyArha) and pAratantrya go hand in hand. Just
> as "sEShatva" has to be kept suppressed if it hampers the Lord's
> pleasure, the other attribute "pAratantrya" should not also be
> allowed to damp/lower the Lord's spirits.

It is neither SEshatva nor pAratantrya that is suppressed, but only
the ahankAram associated with, I reiterate!

What is SEsham in vernacular mathematics textbooks in India?

Several sanskrit words e.g. AchAram, anushtAnam, anusandhAanm,
samASrayaNam etc. are not used in the right spirit, particularly in
South India including AP, though Telugu, Kannada are considered to be
more sankritised than Northern languages (in terms of vocabulary). My
statement does not mean I am in a position to give right meaning!!

Recently one devotee rightly analyzed "upavAsam", which is different
from abhOjanam or niraSanam (fasting).

>            Again refer to SVB:71-72. pAratantrya will eliminate >
self-
> effort, while sEShatva self-delight and self-enjoyment, provided
> these two fundamental characteristics,which mark the essential
> nature of the individual soul, are fully grasped and lived upto.
> Then these two can be turned towards selfless service, rendered
unto
> the Lord, solely for His pleasure, with no tinge of personal egoism.

You have (along with other swAmIs) precisely analyzed!

> Credit also goes to the devotees Sri Parthasarathy and
> Sri vanamamali Padmanabhan. Plus, Sri Sridhar Srinivasan has
> already
> nicely explained the position of sEShatva-pAratantrya.
>
> AzhvAr emperumAnAr jIyar thiruvadigaLE sharaNam

dAsAnudAsan
Vishnu

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.itolB/TM