You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Sep 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00176 Sep 2004

Sep 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

srI kastUri rangan wrote:

---
> This is a speculation of Shri SMS Chari. Having noting the non-
> precedence of installing mUrtis of gurus & acharyas and having
> observed the absence of anya-devata sannidhis in vishnu temples,
> despite the references of the same in Vaishnava agamas, he should
> have done a basic arithmetic. I have observed the amman sannidhi
in
> Tirukkovilur temple. It does not seem to have been an installation
> as per agamas. I am open to correction on this.
-----

The "amman" sannadhi in thiru-k-kOvilUr is that of vishNu durga.

The presence of this sannadhi is even mentioned in
thirunedundhaaNdakam - in the 7th paasuram (vaRpudaiya varai
nedunthOL).

This paasuram describes thiru-k-kOvilUr and its greatness.
One of the descriptions for thiru-k-kOvilUr is - "vindhai mEya
kaRpudaiya mada-k-kanni kaaval pooNda", the place which is
guarded by the spinster who has gnyAna (kaRpu, here), and who
does not give up (paRRiRRu viddadhu irukkai).

this kanni is the vishNu durga, who is none other than the yOga
mAyA of the Lord, and was born just befor KrishNa was born to
dEvaki (the child that flew from the hands of kamsa, and warned him).

the word vindhai mEya is also used to denote the place in where
vishNu durga performed tapas to be given the kainkaryam of
guarding a place of the Lord.

The above is clearly mentioned in the thirunedundhaaNdagam
vyAkhyaanam of svAmi periya vachchaan piLLai. Swami ES
Bhoovarahaachaariaar has gracefully blessed us with almost 250 hours
of word by word upanyAsam on thirnedundhaaNdagam commentary by
svaami periyavachchaan piLLai. This set is available from Vedics,
and has 15 CDs consisting of MP3 files, and costs $70 (+ $10 S&H).
Please see www.vedics.net for more details. I recommend this
to any person who is interested in our sampradaayam; it is very
easy to listen to, and is appropriate for everyone.

aazhvaar emperumaanaar jeeyar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam.
adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,
varadhan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/.itolB/TM