You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Sep 2006

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00006 Sep 2006

Sep 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Ramanujaya namah:

Dearest all,
This servitude- and being the dAsa bhoothar of Sri
Ramanuja and Sriman Narayanan- if only had I realized
and been blessed earlier, how much enjoyment I would
have had? Amudhaanr is remorseful that he had wasted
all these years. Even in this birth, - even after
Raamaanuja appeared years before, for some reason, I
am not blessed with his sambandham before. It is
because I had never ever approached His Holiness. Even
now, it is EmperumAnAr grace alone on me that he has
let me be blessed with his sambandham. He could have
done that before- is the feeling of Amudhanaar in this
verse-

aakki yatimai nilaippith thanaiyennai inRu,avamE
pOkkip puRaththitta thenporu Laamunpu puNNiyar_tham
vaakkiR piriyaa iraamaa Nnucha!nin aruLinvaNNam
nNOkkil theriviri thaal,urai yaayintha nuNporuLE. 38

I, the lowliest self, who has been under the wrong
impression and knowledge for ages that AthmA is the
Lord, have been enslaved by Sri Ramanuja and thus he
enabled me serve his Bhagawathas. Having done so on
me, mercifully and gracefully, now, my query is: why
at all I was left groping in the dark so long for
ages, and so many births? When I can see the depth of
compassion of DevarIr on adiyEn, I am not able to
comprehend this inexplicable query. Please tell me.

puNNiyartham vaakil piriyaa Iraamaanusa! -  Oh
EmperumAnArE! Swami Ramanauja! The One who is praised
by the scholars and bhaagyasaalis!
Nin aruLin vaNNam nOkkil- when analyzing the way You
have blessed due to grace of Yours-
inRu- after becoming so old?
ennai aakki- You made me the object and recipient of
Your dayA..
adimai nilaippitthyanai? solidified my dAsyathvam and
setvitude to You and the Lord.

Munbu- In this same birth for so many years
Avam E pOkki- wasting all those time.
puRatthu ittadhu- pushed me into the sensual pursuits
and worldly objects;
en poruL?- Why?
Aa- kashtam [alas!]
Therivu aridhu- It is incomprehensible?
Aal- What is gone is gone [all precious time is gone
wasted without serving Ramanuja]
Indha nuN poruL uraiyaay- Please bless me with the
inner meaning or underlying reasoning of this and
alleviate my remorse.

[in similar tone, Swami Nammaazhwaar asks PerumAL: in
Thiruvaymozhi 10.8.9- anRu ennai puRam pOagap
puNartthathen seyvaan. ] For ages, He had been simply
ignoring me and today, He has taken me  even as an
object worthy of consideration and He- the One who is
Enjoyment personified- has made Himself enter into my
smallest heart and
stay there. Today, he blesses me like this and
accepted me; why did He
leave me to those cruel five sense organs for so long
and simply ignored me? I demand an answer from
ThiruppEr Emperumaan for my doubt/question.

(An interesting anecdote reported by NampiLLai: as
written by Periyavaacchaan PiLLai: Nam jeeyer asked
his AchAryA Paraasara Bhattar (son of KooratthAzhwAn)
as to what could be the reply from Emperumaan for this
question from AzhwAr?

Bhattar immediately replies: what can He say? He is
ashamed of even raising His Head and is drawing lines
on the ground with His toe finger, due to His feeling
guilty of keeping AzhwAr waiting so long and not
having AzhwAr in Sri Vaikuntam..- What a reply! I bet
Emperumaan and PiraaTTi would have smiled at each
other with a beaming face for this reply from
Bhattar!)

It is because of the Lord?s swaathanthryam
[independence and freewill]. Who is the Lord? You are
the Lord? Oh Ramanuja? You are Emperumaanaar. Or it
could be due to praakrutham? and my praarabdha karma
perhaps.

EmperumAnAr ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana
dAsan

http://mail.yahoo.com

Azhvar EmberumAnAr JeeyAr ThiruvadigalE Saranam
http://www.vedics.net

Yahoo! Groups Links