You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Apr 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00051 Apr 2006

Apr 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

Recently I attended a marriage.  In the chitchat session while waiting for the
bride and groom to arrive on the stage in the marriage reception, I was told
the groom is a black belt in relevant area of the operation in his
organization. Since I was not knowing any thing about six sigma, master black
belt, black belt, green belt, and gold belt etc I was fish out of water
initially during that session. I did not know any thing about these belts in an
organization, except that brown and black colour leather stuff around the
typical bulging tummy of a typical Indian, which I also wear and have. Perhaps
that led to the proverb tighten your belt?

Then I came to know in the course of chat, about these colour belts, that it
has something to do with "quality of product" processed or produced in projects
undertaken in that organization. So next morning with all eagerness of a child,
I browsed the internet, for the details on these 'quality' belts, and this is
what I got from a website.

"The fundamental objective of the Six Sigma methodology is the implementation
of a measurement-based strategy that focuses on process improvement and
variation reduction through the application of Six Sigma improvement projects
<http://www.isixsigma.com/me/project_selection/> . This is accomplished through
the use of two Six Sigma sub-methodologies: DMAIC and DMADV. The Six Sigma
DMAIC <http://www.isixsigma.com/me/dmaic/>  process (define, measure, analyze,
improve, control) is an improvement system for existing processes falling below
specification and looking for incremental improvement. The Six Sigma DMADV
<http://www.isixsigma.com/me/dmadv/>  process (define, measure, analyze,
design, verify) is an improvement system used to develop new processes or
products at Six Sigma quality levels. It can also be employed if a current
process requires more than just incremental improvement. Both Six Sigma
processes are executed by Six Sigma Green Belts and Six Sigma Black Belts
<http://www.isixsigma.com/ca/mbb_bb/> , and are overseen by Six Sigma Master
Black Belts <http://www.isixsigma.com/ca/mbb_bb/> ".

About those golden belts, matter is there in another web site. Since not of
much relevance to what we are to see hereafter, I just do not bother all of you
with that stuff.

Hi, please do not get annoyed to talk on 'quality' and belts in the sree
vaishNava lists. This triggered my thoughts elsewhere. Hey, what all these tall
claims on belts? Already there are lots of coloured belts available in that art
of self-defense - like karate, kung-fu, etc - now one set more in 'quality'.

But there is one 'cloud coloured' youngster- neeradha samaneeyan - who was
conferred [or he got?] the "best belt" tied in his stomach by his "mother" as
an award. He also received it so nicely and did a wonderful thing- crawled and
released two prisoners standing as trees. As a remembrance of that 'belt'
giving, he is also named after that 'belt'. We, even today, reverentially
remember his act of getting that belt, chant his name - [that naama - name -
see how closely English follows Sanskrit] considering that naama cleanses us
whenever we become a little 'asuchi' - unclean - and we resort to doing an
'aachamanam' as 'parikaaram' - cleansing step.

This 'conferring' of belt to that 'neeradha' again posed me lot of questions -
a dozen as listed below - may be some more added by shrewd 'quality conscious'
or 'trained professionals in quality' in the lists.

1.      Does that mother know what is 'quality' while conferring the belt?

2.      Is she qualified to offer or confer that belt to that receiver?

3.      Of what 'colour' or 'grade' of belt she gave?

4.      Does the receiver qualified to receive the belt?

5.      If so what was the qualification?

6.      What was the 'product' in the 'project' undertaken or product produced
by the receiver to be conferred with that 'belt'?

7.      How was the quality of that product adjudged by the conferor?

8.      Any tests conducted on the product?

9.      If answer is yes, what were the results?

10.  Naturally, that leads to - what is the sampling procedure and how many
samples used?

11.  How much percentage of defective products was noticed?

12.  What was the standard deviation obtained before the product is certified
as defects free so that the producer is recognized as worthy of conferring the
'belt'?

Oh, it is mind boggling to answer all these questions. So let me try to answer
slowly one by one.

1.      For the very first question answer is a negative - the 'conferor'
mother does not know what is 'quality'? But she knows what is her 'dharmam'.
[now this leads me to another doubt - does that  'dharmam' has anything to do
with quality?]

2.      She does not know any thing about quality - sigma, standard deviation,
defects - karate - etc and she is best described by 'knowledgeable' as "idakkai
valakkai theriyaadha idaichchi" - meaning - a cowherd maiden, who does not know
the difference between right and left hand or can not recognize that. Such a
person conferred 'belts'? Yes. It is a wonder.

3.      As per documents available it is not clear, of what colour the belt
was, but one thing is certain - it was of a mixed colour - for all pieces
available in the house were used to makeup for the length of that belt. That
way documentation is of very high order- another ISO requirement].

4.      About the receiver - hey - he is a child crawling - what
pre-qualification do you expect from a child - who perhaps may not be able to
coherently say a few words even. That too the child of a mother as described in
point 2.

5.      It is said in the documents about him that he is the creator of
vedhaas, but now since he is there in front as a child, perhaps it is very very
difficult to judge his present qualification to receive the belt. Also see
point below.

6.      The project was 'childish pranks' - 'baala leelaa' - like teasing the
mother along with her friends or her co-habitants. And the product was butter
from curd pots.

7.      There was no way of judging the quality of product except by tasting
and eating by the very same person, who received the belt and his friends-
co-eaters. So it is a one sided affair of testing. The giver of belt did not
exercise or cannot exercise her options of testing or tasting. Further about
her qualification see point no. 2 above once again.

8.      The product was either consumed and left without any trace of balance
or simply spoiled by mixing with mud / dust. So, no question of 'testing'.

9.      The results were obvious. Either the belt receiver asked for more of
the product - which showed the quality of product was very good - or he made
such a mess of that place and of those persons, that the concerned felt bad, by
his naughty behaviour. So either way results were obvious and clear.

10.  samples? - hey, all products were tested by tasting and consumed, or
spoilt. So samples? Wherefrom to take?

11.  Defective? What is the meaning of defect? For once he touched the product,
it turned out to be the best of bests. [is this the only superlative word in
English - or any more. can I use that 'adhika thama:' as was used
bheeshmaacharya] Then how to get at a defective product after his special touch.

12.   Standard? deviation? What? the producer is beyond duality - he is unique
in producing - each product of his, has its own uniqueness. Then how to
identify any deviation or to check on maintaining any standard when no two are
a repetition. Either way, it is not possible to assess deviation. Then with
what scale to measure the produce for the deviations?

Oh now I managed to answer the questions. Perhaps now you may ask what is that
special belt and its name. That belt is the 'rope', which is used in tying the
cows and calves. Mother yasodhaa is the conferor of the belt. My pet krishNa is
the receiver of the belt - he is named 'dhaamOdharan' after getting this rope
belt.

Now it is clear what naama we use when we are a little asuchi. It is "Om dhaama
udharaaya nama:" - the last naama in aachamanam 'Om dhaamOdharaaya nama:' We
utter this by touching the head to complete the aachamanam. Touching the head?
Means what - andha naamaththukku uriyavanai thalai mEl vaiththuk kondaadu -
while uttering that naama, think about that person and bow your head in
reverence. That ONE who has such a belt.

Why to talk of all these other coloured belts?

Before concluding

viralOdu vaai thOindha veNNai kaNdu aaichchi

uralOdu uRap piNiththa naanRu - kuraLovaadhu

Engi ninaindhu ayalaar kaaNavirundhilaiyE

ongOdha vaNNaa urai - 24 mudhal thiruvandhaadhi

kadhaiyin perum poruLum kaNNaa nin pErE

idhayam irudhavaiyE yEththil  kadhaiyin

thirumozhiyaai ninRa thirumaalE unnaip

parumozhiyaal kaaNap paNi - 64 iraNdaam thiruvandhaadhi

dhasan

vasudevan m.g.

DISCLAIMER:
  This Message and its contents is intended solely for the addressee and is
proprietary.Information in this mail is for L&T Business Usage only. Any Use to
other than the addressee is misuse and infringement to Proprietorship of L&T
ECC.If you are not the addressee please return the mail to the sender.L&T ECC
DIVISION

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/VkWolB/TM