You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Apr 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00090 Apr 2006

Apr 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

Dear BhakthAs of MahA Lakshmi:

In this 14th slOkam , Sri VenkatAdhri Kavi expresses his (limiting)
incapabilities
and concedes that he has chosen for that reason Sri Lakshmi Naama sankeerthanam
alone for his redemption from the ill effects of SamsAram:

na hi nanthum AnanathameesmahE
na cha nirmANa-kaTAapi karmaNAm
KamalE kali-bhee nivartanam
kalayAmas-tava nAma keerthanam

(Prose Order): Ananatham nanthum na yeesmahE hi ; cha karmANam nirmAna
kaTA api na; KamalE kali bhee nivartanam Tava nAma keerthanam kalayAma:

(Meaning): Oh MahA Lakshmi (KamalE ) ! We are unable to offfer our worship to
Your Lord having the name of Ananathan ( the limitless One) . We do not even
budge
an inch towards the observanc eof YaagAs or Yaj~nAs. We are only engaged in
the recitation of Your sacred names to chase away the fear caused by this Kali
yugam .

We have concluded that Karma yOgam and Bhakthi yOgam are difficult to practise
by us. We have therefore stayed away from traveling on these bumpy routes to
Moksham .
PurANa vachanam states that the phalans of performing  Yaagams and Yaj~nams in
the other Yugams are achieved by the sankeerthanam of Your nAmAs alone in Kali
Yugam .
Therefore, we as incompetent ones in performing difficult YaagAs have elected
instead
to sing Your NaamAs and eulogize You . Such an act on our part removes the
fears of
living in Kali Yugam , where the dharmam is forever on decline.

VenkatAdhri Kavi has performed many Yaagams and Yaj~nams and has been honored
with the title of "asthOkAdhvari" . For him , the performance of Yaagams and
Yaj~nams
are like a child's play . For us only , such activities are beyond our
capabilities. The poet
has us hence in mind , when he refers to the powerless folks and identifies
with them
as those engaged in the easy anushtAnam of Naama Sankeerthanam of Lakshmi's
nAmAs.

SlOkam 17.15 : The powerful nAmAs of Lakshmi that chase away all kinds of tApams
vividhAni tavAdhunA thu nAma
vyasanAnyaBdhisuthE dhunAthu nAma
api yajjapatha: kalAvahAni
syuramunyajjvaladhee-kalAvahAni

( Prose Order): aBdhisuthE ! vividhAni vyasanAni Tava nAma adhunA thu dhunAthu
nAma.
api yath japatha: kalou amUni ahAni ujjvala dhee kalA AavahAni syu:

(Meaning): Oh Daughter of the Ocean ! May the power of Your  sacred nAmAs chase
away
immediately the varieties of dangers that we come across and free us of our
many bad practises
that we are engaged in ! further , for the reciter of Your dhivya nAmams in
this Kali Yugam ,
the days become filled with the lustre of growing true Jn~Anam about Tatthva
Thrayams .

Oh MahA Lakshmi , the daughter of the Milky Ocean ! By reciting Your nAmAs ,
all of our
samsAric dukkhams are blown away. Those who recite Your nAmAs with MahA ViswAsam
and Bhakthi  are transformed into evolved souls with increasing Jn~Anam about
arTa
Panchakam . The various dangers ( Taapa Thrayam) that they are exposed to , are
shaken off . Our medhA  expands ( ujjvala dhee: vilAsam ).  Our intellects are
purified ( dhiyO yO na: prachOdhayAth) . asankuchitha ( unshrinking) Jn~Anam
obtainable only at Moksha dasai results . All bad habits  take flight. The poet
says that
all of these bhAgyams are realized by those who recite the nAmAs of Parama
Paavana
MahA Lakshmi.

In this slOkam , Sriman KaNNan Swamy  points out that the Kavi uses
the PrAsam and SlEsham together at two places . SlEsham is pun and
PrAsam is alliteration . These are  two figures of speech that are used
in a beautiful manner here .

In the first paadham of this slOkam , we come across "adhunA thu nAma" ;
in the second paadham , the word group is " dhunA thu naama" . The meanings
however are different in the two Paadhams but the sound effects are similar.

The third and the fourth paadhams end with the same word : " KalAvahAni "  .
The meanings however are different based on splitting of this compound word.
"kalAvahAni" can be split as Kalou+ ahAni ( the days in kali yugam ) or kalA +
AavahAni
( the acquisition of the various Kalais due to the acquisition of  the
sharpened
intellect /ujjvala dhee:).

Sri VenkatAdhri Kavi 's  sense of humor and poetic greatness is evident here
and is recognized as the result of MahA Lakshmi's ParamAnugraham .

Sri PadhmAvathy SamEtha Sri SrinivAsa ParabrahmaNE nama:
Daasan , Oppiliappan KOil VaradAchAri Sadagopan

Yahoo! Groups Links