You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Apr 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00092 Apr 2006

Apr 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

Dear BhakthAs of MahA Lakshmi:

In the 16th SlOkam of this staBakam , Sri VenkatAdhri Kavi points out
that the nAmAs of MahA Lakshmi destroy the blemishes ( dhOshams) of
our tongues :

rAshtraprasanga-kujanasthuthi-rAjakAryam
dhustarkavAdha- paradhUshaNa-dhOsha-Saanthyai:
NaarAyaNa PriyataME nanu pAvanAni
nAmAni keerthayathu tE rasanA madheeyA

(Meaning): My tongue is full of blemishes . Some of these asuddhis acquired by
my tongue are :

 (1) praising of the lowly & evil ones for my livelihood /kujana sthuthi

 (2) engaging in vicious chatter about my neighbors and friends and spreading
      rumours / rAshtra prasangam

 (3) making hypocritical political speeches / rAja kAryam

(4)  playing the devil's advocate and arguing for arguments' sake / kustarka
vAdham

5)   belittling others /Para dhUshaNam .

Oh dearest Consort of NaarAyaNa ! if adiyEn has to cleanse my tongue from
all these pancha mahA dhOshams , adiyEn has to place a most sacred object
on my tongue. That sacred object is Your Name . Once adiyEn adorns Your name
on my tongue , all the blemishes are destroyed . My tongue gets consecrated by
Your nAmAs in a manner similar to our association with GangA water , the dust
from
cow's hoof in the morning , Sri Paadha theertham of BhagavathAs , Panchagavyam
,
consecrated PunDram prepared with dhvAdasa nAma manthrams , consecrated
sacred thread  et al.

There are other methods for removing these dhOshams such as PradakshiNams
and PraNAmams ( Circamambualations and prostrations before the Lord) and yet
adiyEn believes that the dhOshams caused by the tongue has to be eliminated by
the tongue ( karthA ) itself. The parihAram ( cure ) for these dhOshams is the
recitation
of MahA Lakshmi's dhivya nAmAs.

Each of these dhOshams generated by the tongue causes so many harmful
side effects .

For instance dustarka Vaadham leads to cheating ( distortion of the true
meaning/
vidhyA drOham)  , obsession with winning ( winning for winning's sake) ,
the generation of enimity with great scholars .

Kujana sthuthi has the harmful side effects of athivAdham (Exaggeraton ) ,
asathya-
vachanam ( distortion of Truth) and degradation of one's own honor .

Raajya Kaaryam leads to the dhOsham of arTa-kAma prAvaNyam ( domination by
the desires of different kinds including wealth ) , dharma lObham ( dimunition
in
rAja dharmam) and Para PeeDai ( harming others ). These arise from hunger for
power .

Para dhUshaNam leads to causing pain to others , apachAram to BhAgavathAs
and maintenance of low culture .

The japam of our Mother's names and sankeerthanam of them cleanses our tongues
of
these five kinds of dhOshams .This recitation produces parama saanthi.

In the next two slOkams , The poet addresses additional aparAdhams caused by
our tongues .

Laksmi Sahasram : Naama MahimA staBakam : SlOkam 17.17
prAdEsa-sammitha-nija-udhara-pUraNa-arTai:
athyarTamEbhir-anruhtai: abhidahyamAnA
nirvAthu neeradhisuthE rasanA Thvadheeyai:
AakhyAsathair-abhimathair-amruthairivAasou

Oh Neeradhi suthE ( the daughter of the Ocean )! We tell lies ( anrutham)
to fill our two-finger long ( small-dimensioned) stomachs ( prAdEsa sammitha
nija udhara pooraNa arTai:) .The result of these conscious lies is the
scorching of
our tongues ( yEbhi: anruthai: rasanA abhidahyamAnA). Our  tongues  get parched
and become lifeless . May the cool nectar of Your hundreds of delectable NaamAs
drench our parched tongues ,rejuvenate them and delight them !

For the sake of earning a livelihood , I stooped and told many lies .When I
realize
those mistakes , my tongue is on fire . It gets scorched. Seeking a sure cure ,
I recite
your many nAmAs with relish. The nectarine effect of Your nAmAs removes the heat
and delights my tongue. The prayer here is for the quenching of the heat by
Lakshmi
Naama Sankeerthanam : Neeradhi SuthE ! (mama) rasanA (tongue) nirvAthu ! May my
scorched tongue resulting from the act of  of telling lies (anrutham) be
comforted
by the  experience  of  the nectar (amrutham) associated with the sankeerthanam
of Your nAmAs ! ) . The mountain of difference in change of one letter in
"anrutham" and
"amrutham" is noted here by the poet .

The 8 SaasthrArTams embedded in this slOkam
1)Our goals and strivings should always be lofty. One should not lower oneself
for the sake of filling our stomachs .

2) It is a mighty sin to lie. The AchAryan's upadEsam for the anthEvAsi is :
"Satyam vadha". Upanishad empasizes the utterance of sathyam(Truth).

3) When a vivEki is forced to tell a lie , he regrets it and develops nirvEdham.
That  repentance alone destroys one fourth of the accumulated sins.

4) The Saadhus who have committed a mistake go through successive stages of
anutApam , uparamam , PrAyascchittha unmukathvam and the performance of
the PrAyascchittham . These 4 stages of repentance culminating in the
performance of
the act of atonement destroys the Paapams one quarter at a time.

5) The intense pain experiened by the Saadhus is the telling of a lie for the
sake of
the insignificant stomach . Saasthrams permit conscious uttering  of untruth
for
the observance of some lofty dharmams : protection of a SaraNAgathan ,
protection of life and maintenance of an unnatha dharmam.

6) The slOkam specifically refers to the tongue being the agent of the lie .
For a prAyascchittham to be effective, the aparAdham and the agent associated
with the aparAdham should be expressly stated ( bahirangam ); seeking forgivance
in secret wont be effective at all ( rahasya aparAdha kshAmaNam).

7)The sankeerthanam of the thousands of NaamAs of MahA Lakshmi and Her divine
consort destroys all types of sins . The reference to " AakhyA Sathai: " (
hundreds of
NaamAs) is to remind us of the Lakshmi Sahasra Naamams housed in SanathkumAra
samhithai.

8) Her NaamAs are delectable ( Parama bhOgyam) . They should be recited as
Svayam prayOjanam instead of expecting any phalans. The power of these naamAs
will drench one with bliss even if one does not ask for it.

Sri PadhmAvathy SamEtha Sri SrinivAsa ParabrahmaNE nama:
Daasan , Oppiliappan KOil VaradAchAri Sadagopan

Yahoo! Groups Links