You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Apr 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00123 Apr 2006

Apr 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:
Dearest all,

Let us continue to enjoy AzhwArs wonderful verses on
ThiruvEnkatam. Today?s ThiruvEnkatam verse is:
NammAzhwAr?s Thiruvaaymozhi 6.10.1. [on the EkAdasai
day- a wonderful decad to start with]

ulagam unda peruvaayaa!
  ulappil keerththi yammaanE,
nilavum sudarsoo zhoLimoorththi!
  nediyaay! adiyE NnaaruyirE,
thiladham ulaguk kaaynNinRa
  thiruvENG kadaththem perumaanE,
kulathol ladiyEn unpaadham
  kootu maaRu kooRaayE. 6.10.1

ulaghamuNda peruvaayaa! ulappil keerthi
ammaanE!..."...During Cosmic cycle dissolution
(mahAPraLaya kaalam) You ate the entire universe and
protected the same by retaining it in your stomach;
Such a Large mouthed Lord! (in order to swallow the
universe); The unbounded Powerful AmmaanE!
(EmperumaanE!), the embodiment of fame! The Complete
form of Suddha Satvam! You are with the Most
resplendent lustrous form of ThirumEni ( Divine Body)!
NedumaalE! (TrivikramA!) My Dearest life of my AthmA!
Oh ThiruvEnkadatthAnE! The Lord Srinivas, who is
standing gracefully at Tirumala! I hail from a family
that has been performing kaimkaryam at Your Feet. You
should bless me and let me join Your Lotus Feet.

In the last ten [TVM 6.9] AzhwAr spoke of praapyam
[the goal to be attained] i.e. the Lord. In this ten,
AzhwAr glorifies the praapaka aspect ? the means to
attain Him namely the performance of Saranagati
[Prapatti]. As the cries of AzhwAr do not reach
Paramapadham [as it tends to appear], AzhwAr thinks
that the only alternative is to surrender to the Lord
at ThiruvEnkatAdri- Sriya: Pathi Lord Srinivasan, the
ubhaya vibhUthi nAthan. He is readily available and
accessible after Lord Rama and Krishna avathArams ?
easily amenable and accessible for samsaaris to follow
as TiruvEnkatamudaiyaan.

This is the most brilliant decad ?an extraordinary ten
wherein AzhwAr approaches the Lord with the
recommendation and mediatrix of Thaayaar ?PiraaTTi Sri
Mahalakshmi through abject surrender. Sharanagati or
self-surrender according consists of six parts or
angas:  (i) Anukulyasya sankalpa i.e. to act according
to His's will and to do what is pleasing to Sriman
Narayana.  It also connotes the will of the devotee to
Love all and Serve all.  (ii) Prathikulyasya varjanam
i.e to avoid acting against God's wishes.  (iii)
Mahaviswasam i.e Unflinching faith in the saving grace
of the Lord. (iv) Karpanya: i.e. Humility. Acceptance
that you are nowhere near the "perfection" that is
expected from other paths.  (v) Goptrutva varanam i.e
Seeking the grace of Sriman Narayanan as the only hope
for attaining the supreme goal. (vi) Atmanikshepa i.e.
Offering yourself to Him

Atmanikshepa or offering yourself to Sriman Narayanan
is further elaborated in terms of phala samarpana,
bhara samarpana and swaroopa samarpana. Phala
samarpana means giving up every form of egoistic
satisfaction.  The person who surrenders to the Lord
renounces all selfish feelings of I and mine.  The
expressions "I want to be" and "I want to have" agree
with the subject 'ahamkara'  and have no place in the
language of sharanagati.  Bhara samarpana is
transferring the burden of protection to God.  He is
Himself the means and the goal.  Swaroopa Samarpana is
returning the self to its real Owner and the
realization of His will as the only will.  This
self-gift to Sriman Narayanan is the most precious of
all gifts.

AzhwAr talks about the One who is surrendering himself
and the tenth pAsuram is about the surrender itself or
Saranagati.

AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLE saraNam
Regards
Namo narayana