You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00004 Aug 2003

Namo Narayana
Srinivasa parabrahmane namaha

Dear Members,

I came across this kiirthana by Annamacharya which is so relevant to
what is being discussed now.

adi gaaka nijamatam daigaaka yaajakam
badigaaka hrdaya sukha madigaaka paramu

amalamagu vijnaanamanu mahaadhvaramunaku
namarinadi asankalpamanu mahaapasuvu
pramadamanu yuupagamdamuna visasimpinci
vimaleendu yaahutula veel[anga valadaa

araya mirmamakaara maacaaryudai celaga
vadisatoo dharmadeevata brahmagaaga
dorakonna samdamaadulu daanadhairya bhaa
svara guNaadulu virpasamiti gaavaladaa

tiruVenkataacalaadhipu nija dhyaanambu
narulaku soomapaanambu gaavaladaa
paraga naatani kripaa paripuurNa jaladhiloo
naruhulai yavabrdham baaranga valadaa

[Translation]

What is true religion...

What is true religion or what is real yajna:
Or the thing that brings true happiness or salvation?

It is the great 'Yajna' of Pure knowledge,
For which 'strength of will' is the sacrificial animal,
Formally fastened to the stake of pleasure
When desires are flung into the holy fire:

With detachment as the officiating priest:
And righteousness as the Presiding diety,
Balance, Temperance, Charity, Courage and Merit,
Are the assembly of assisting Brahmins;

'Thought' fixed on the Lord of Venkatadri,
Is the sacred 'Soma' of stimulating joy;
Bathing in the holy waters of Venkateswara's grace,
Oh, devotee: deserve the lord's mercy and perform this ture 'Yajna'

"Annamacharya Lyrics of Humanism" by Editor: Acharya I.V.Chalapati
Rao
and Translated by A.S.Murthy of Potti Sreeramulu Telugu University,
Hyderabad, 1999.

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
srirangasri-subscribe@yahoogroups.com