You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00030 Aug 2003

Dear Bhagavatas:
Sri Lakshmi Narasimhan Swamy with id " narsimhancsl@xxxx" writes as follows:

"Dear Swamy,

This is very well written procedure for upakarma. It is indeed very true that there is no need to change sankalpams when u r out of India. I remember when my grandfather tested me on this. He gave a samasya pooranam slokam as follows:

"Kovido america gathva sankalpam keedrusham kruthaha". Which means how a learned man performs sankalpam when he goes to America. It occurred to me immediately & I completed the verse by saying:

"yathaahi poorvajairuktham manasaa bhaarathey sthithaha". which means as said by our elders staying in India through "mind". He liked the reply and was happy that I grasped his inner intention"

Thanks for the input on the Sankalpam.

He further writes:
"I was going thru the procedure for Brahmacharis. I think for the ajinam the manthram starts from "Mithrasya chakshuhu..." & not "ajina mithrasya chakshihu" & for dandam the manthram starts from "shushrava: and not from Danda sushrava:". Looks like a typo for me"

Yes. Indeed, they are typos. Sorry for the same and thanks for pointing out.

"For brahmacharis samithadhaanam also may be included as a mention. Atleast the present brahmacharis can do this on the Upakarma day if not daily"

Sure. The "Homam" has to be done with "Samith". I did not mention this because I presumed that it is so basic that the elders would know this anyway.

I request Bhagavatas to please take note of the above instructions.
Thanks to Sri Lakshmi Narasimhan Swamy for the suggestions.
Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia