You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00040 Aug 2003

Dear friends:
In response to my query about a Slokam, I have received responses from numerous Bhagavatas pointing out the text of the slokam and its source. My heartfelt thanks to everyone of them for their time and effort.

I sought this information in connection with explaining how Swami Desika proves in "Paradhaana Pratitantra Adhikaaram" of his "Srimad Rahasya Traya Saaram" that the "Seshatvam" of Jivan in relation the "Svaamitvam" of Lord Sriman Narayana leads to the "Daasatvam" of the Jivan because of its cognitive faculty (chEtanatvam) as against the AchEtanas that have "seshatvam" but do not have this faculty to realize their "Daasatvam".

"Daasatvam" or service rendered to those imperfect masters who are subject to karma and Trigunas is DEPLORABLE as pointed out by Bartruhrai in his "Neeti Satakam" slokam in question, while "Daasatvam" to the Lord, is DELECTABLE because this Lord-Master (Svaami) is filled with "sui generis" (Suddha Satva mayam) beyond Karma and TriguNas, has countless auspicious qualities(asankhyEya kalyaaNa guna gaNas) like being All-merciful and All-benevolent and He is devoid of all defects(akhila hEya pratyanika).

I am sorry to have troubled Bhagavatas because, I have with me 'Neeti Satakam" of Bartruhari, and I should have verified before putting this question. Bartruhari has also authored two more Satakams, namely, "Sringaara Satakam" and "Vairaagha Satakam". I do not have them in my Library.
Thanks again
Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy

Home Page