You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00008 Aug 2004

Dear friend,

This is in response to your question below.

I would say it is the "gAyatri" mantra that foremost promotes mental
concentration and equipoise. All the Vedantic "achAryA-s" attest to
this fact. That is why it is the very first 'mantra' (the mother of
all 'mantras') given through "upadEsa" to any brahmachAri, youth.
Before one can learn to utter any other Vedic "mantra", one has to
learn to chant the "gAyatri".

This is not to say that other 'mantra-s' are any less potent. It is
just that the "gAyatri" is particularly suited to the cultivation of
mental qualities such as concentration, steadiness, equipoise,
clarity, illumination... It is the reason why in the Vedic way of
life, we are all urged to chant the 'gAyatri' unfailingly thrice in a
day. It is paramount duty enjoined on us.

We may or may not be able to chant other sacred 'mantra-s'. But as
humans born into the Vedic life we have no choice in the matter
of 'gAyatri'. It is prescribed we have to chant it, regardless of
anything, thrice daily every living day.

The "gAyatri" mantra is tonic for the soul, protein for the mind and
vitamin for the "buddhi".

A few days ago some of us underwent the "upAkarma" ceremony ("AvaNI-
avittam") and then followed it up with the "gAyatri japa" (1008
times). Others will be performing the rite later this August. This
annual ceremony is also mandatory for all who profess to have faith
in the Vedic 'mArga'. This rite is like an annual "medical check-up".
If on this very sacred day, we are able to go through the rite and we
complete too the 1008 "mantra-japa" of "gAyatri" -- in a calm,
composed and devoted manner(with lot of "shraddhA") -- we can take it
then that we have obtained a clean bill of mental fitness i.e. we can
be sure our mental faculties are all working pretty normally.
Certainly they are at least not malfunctioning. They are 'stable'.

Hope these thoughts of mine help you to make up your mind as to
what 'mantra' you must embrace to achieve the mental "concentration
and stablity" you seek.

Thanks and regards,

dAsan,
Sudarshan