You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00025 Aug 2004

Dear Sirs,

This is in response to mother of one son being called "as good as" barren by
AlavandAr, based on his knowledge of the
shAstras. Because the debating scholar (who had more to loose) did not disagree
to ALavandAr's logic, we can say,
that ALavandAr's position was substantiated in the shAstrAs.
I don't know the exact shastric statement that calls mother of one son as
barren, but I am willing to bet it is there.

Life expectancy is generally low for one reason or the other.
One or the other sort of calamity abounds. With one son, there is a higher
probability that mother may end up child less. She is still not barren, but as
good as barren. Wedding AshirvAda mantrams are full of references to having
many sons (dashAsyam putrAna dEhi...). A Calamity can end ten sons as readily
as one. But if you have 10, there is a higher probability that at least few may
survive.

Someone who has very little money or no
money are both called poor. There are approx 400
million people in India who are classified
as living below the poverty line. I bet, they are all not
equally poor. There are Premjis and Narayana Murthy's among them as well.

There is no reason for only son, or mother of one son etc. to take these things
seriously. I think we are redaing too much into it. It is a matter of
technicality. As far as the son is concerned, he is 100% son and mother of
course is 100% mother. As someone quoted Sri Krishna premi saying, a garden
with one mango tree is not called thoppu. That is true isn't it?
Even the so called barren lands have some vegetation here and there. Manhattan
which is called concrete jungle has quite a few trees and a grand central park.
Grand canyon has many parts which are not so grand after all (like the spot I
was standing)! Arizona has more trees than many places thar are not called so.
Picking on AlavandAr's logic today is like someone 1000 yeras from now picking
on the USA for calling a place Death Valley
 or Arizona!
If we try to understand the spirit of AlvandAr's  argument,
then we have no problem.

Our  shAstrAs  say "apurtasya gatirnAsti (no son, no mokSHam)".
Then, what about a more profound statement in the mahAnArAyaNOpanishad: "na
karmaNA na prajayA dhnEna, tyAgEnaikE amRetatva mAnaSHuh (It is not wealth,
work or children, but it is renunciation that leads to liberation..)".

After all, I am ALavandAr's great (27 times) grandson, and if I don't defend my
great (x27) grand father, what good is any son at all!

dAsan,

K. Sreekrishna Tatachar

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/VkWolB/TM