You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00053 Aug 2004

Dear sri vaishNavaperunthagaiyeer,

Now to get at that clear point of "munnOr thoodhu avanE vaanaraththin vaayil
mozhindhu" is done in the case of angadhan -  see sargam 41 of yudhDha kaaNdam .

raaghava: sannivEsyaivam sva sainyam rakshasaam vaDhE |
sammanthraya manthribhi: saardham nischithya cha puna: puna: || 5-41-58

aanantharyam abhiprEpsu: krama yOgaarthha thathvavith|
vibheeshaNasya anumathE raaja dharmam anusaran || 5 - 41- 59
angadham vaali thanayam samaahooya idham abraveeth | 5-41-60 a

meaning: sree raama placed the army at appropriate places, considering the
results for actions done in haste and irregular fashion. Raama called all the
ministers to discuss the steps to be taken to kill the raakshasaas. since raama
is a king  going as per  raaja dharma and getting consent from vibheeshaNa
caaled angadha the son of vaali and said as follows.

Point: see here raama himself calls his ambassador angadha and tells what he
has to convey. So "avanE vaanaraththin vaayil mozhindhu" - puts words in
angadhaas mouth and makes him to go as envoy to raavaNa and convey that war is
imminent and face the consequences. Now bhaagavathaas can comment whether this
is correct o not.

Dear bhagavathaas, what I wanted to discuss with you is yet another point
connected with this angadhan' thoodhu - the messenger service as 'raama
dhoothan'. See now the krithi of thyaagaraajaa.

Raaga - kaapi naaraayaNi:

Pallavi:
sarasa saama dhaana bhEdha dhaNDa chathura
saati dhEivam evarE brOvavE  [sarasa]

anupallavi:
parama saambhava agrEsa: uNdaguchu
balku raavaNudu theliyalEka pOyE [sarasa]

charaNam:
hithavu maatalenthO baaga balkithivi
sathamu gaana ayOdhyaan ichchEnaNtivi
natha sahOdharunE raaji chEsi raaga
hathamu jEsithivi thyaagaraaja raaja       [in some cases nutha]

Meaning: [as available in karnatic.com site] Oh raama! You are the One who
knows how to use the saama, dhaana, bEdha and dhanda methods at the appropriate
time. No one can be compared to you. Please help me. RaavaNa, the most devoted
bhaktha (devotee) of Lord Siva, could not understand this truth. You sent many
calming words to him through your messenger. You even granted Ayodhya to
RaavaNa. Finally, you conquered him and made his brother Vibheeshana the king
of Lanka.

The meaning as published in the book by AK Gopalan publishers, the meaning for
the krithi is -
thyaagaraajanaal thudhikkap pattavanE, parama siva bhakthanaana raavaNan
unnudaiya thiRamaiyai therindhu koLLavillai. Hithamaana vaarththaigaLai
[thoodhan moolamaaga] mudhalil kooRinaai. [idhu saamam]. Pin ayOdhyaa
raajyaththaiyE aLikkiREn enRu kooRinaai [vibheeshaNanaip pOl charaN adainthaal]
[idhu dhaanam enRa ukthi]. VibheeshaNanukku [raavaNan virattiyapOdhu]  lankaa
raajyaththai aLippadhaaga vaakku koduththaai. [idhu bEdham]. Kadaisiyaaga
dhaNdam enRa yukthiyai kaiyaaNdu raavaNanai naasam seidhaai. Unnaip pOl
rakshikkum dheivam oruvarum illai. aagaiyaal ennaik kaappaaRRu.

Why I give meaning from two different sources is, I feel both above are
slightly off the track. The real meaning may be like this - [I am not a telugu
expert, in spite of that I feel so]

Pallavi: Oh raama! You are the clever one who knows how to use the saama,
dhaana, bEdha and dhanda methods. Who else can be the real god who can save.

Anupallavi: RaavaNa, the most devoted bhaktha (devotee) of Lord Siva, could not
understand the truth that in the garb of hanumaan, siva himself came in front
of him and talked  to him [to return seethaa etc].

CharaNam: You very well sent many comforting words to raavaNa. [through your
messenger]. [point 1. This is fist step - saamam]
You were prepared to grant even ayOdhya [to RaavaNa] [point2. this is second
step dhaanam].
you went in agreement with his brother vibheeshaNa [point 3. this is bhEdham]
now as a last resort you give a notice - please destroy your adamant attitude
or get killed by me [raga hathamu chEsithivi] . [point 4. this is dhandam]

In the next post we will se how this krithi is linked to angadhan's service as
envoy.

Dhaasan

Vasudevan m.g.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/VkWolB/TM