You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00041 Aug 2005

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:
Dearest all,

After Poigai, bhootha, Pey, Thirumazhisai Kulasekara
and ThiruppANAzhwAr anubhavams, let us now continue on
PeriyAzhwAr anubhavams. [Please forgive me for a week
absence as I was on an overseas trip]. Also the time
is ripe with AndAL TN just celebrated. PeriyAzhwAr and
His darling daughter AndAL would be pleased with this
incidental synchronization of the series and bless us
with more and more kaimkarya ruchi..

Befroe we dwell upon AzhwAr?s verses: let us enjoy the
Thaniyans [invocatory verses on PeriyAzhwAr: as these
verses themselves- kind of tell us the life history
and greatness of AzhwAr very beautifully.

1st thaniyan- composed by Sri NAthamuni:

guru mukam anadhIthya prAha vEdhAn- asEshaan
nara pathi pari kluptham sulkam  AdhAthu kAmaha:
svasuram amara vandhyam ranganAthasya sAkshAth
dhvija kula thilakam tham vishNu chittham namaami

The AzhwAr- who is the thilakam of Brahminhood; who is
respected and worshipped by even Devas; who is the
father-in-law of Sri Rangnathan; who wished to succeed
getting the prize bag of gold coins, arranged by king
Vallabha devan (narapathi: ) in order to establish the
Supremacy of Sriman Narayanan as the PARATHVAM in the
debate, without any learning formally from Acharyan
(teacher) to that AzhwAr, I bow down to and prostrate.

Here abhinava dESika Sri UttamUr Swamy beautifully
lists different interpretations on this anadhIthyam-
(without learning):

1. anadhIthyam means: without learning. Then, why the
word Guru is required. Isn?s it superfluous Swaram,
Grammaer, niruktham, the meaning of VaidIka padhams
are all explained by the Guru and that can be learnt
only from Acharyan. Hence, Gurumukham anadhIthya
conveys this crystal clear.

2. gurmukham also can be linked to prAha giving a
different meaning: prAha means: explained or taught..
He explained as if he had taught the Vedas as guru for
some time (few years perhaps..).

3. gurumukham can also be linked alternatively to the
assembly of Vedic
scholars, Selva Nambhi (the minister of the king, who
is also knowledgeable and who guided the king to get
this doubt clarified, thereby Parathvam of
Lordship can be established). Means: Having them (as
Gurus- thus- Gurumukham) in the front, he explained
the Vedic Truths.

Two dedicatory verses by PaaNdiya Bhattar:

Minnaar thadamathiL soozh villiputthoor enRu orukaal
Sonnaar kazhaRkamalam soodinOm ?munnaaL
kizhiyaRuththaan enRuraiththOm keezhmaiyiniR chErum
vazhiyaRuththOm nenjamE! Vandhu.

Oh mind! (nenjamE) - you helped me.. Thus, (with your
such helpful nature in co-operating), we are able to
adorn the head with the lotus feet of BhagavathAs  who
have uttered the name Srivilliputtur (which is
surrounded by glittering tall ramparts like Gold)
even once. When raised doubts in King Vallabhadevan?s
sabhai as to who was the Parathavam [Supreme Lord], it
is PeriyAzhwAr who cleared their doubts (that made the
bag of coins tear and) he won the prize. By uttering
that GREAT incident (event) alone, and with AzhwAr
sambandham thus, we are able to get rid of the past
wrong path and destination, that we were heading to
(adhOgati) (which is further births and deaths!)

When AzhwAr is there at that Divya Desam, how can
there be dharidhram (and hence, gem stone laden Golden
ramparts).. When there is kizhi ArutthAn (the bag
tearing..), there will surely by keezhmaiyin sERum
vazhi aRutthOm- the path that could have led us to
wrong destinations (of dEvathAndhara sambandham,
kShUdhra purushaartham- asking something like a kilo
of vegetable from a King etc....). With AzhwAr?s
Paradevatha nirNayam, we are able to get rid of that
path, be blessed with AzhwAr sambandham and know what
we want (eternal service) and who only can Grant and
also how.

paaNdiyan koNdaada Bhattar piraan vandhaan enRu
eeNdiya sangam eduthu oodha ?vENdiya
vEdhangaLOdhi viraindhu kizhiyaRuththaan
paadhangaL yaamudaiya paRRu.

King Vallabhadeva announced the victory of PeriyAzhwAr
(Bhattar Piraan) and conferred the title Bhatta
nAthan. He also declared for a Huge procession of
AzhwAr on the Royal elephant. He took the curved Conch
Shell and blew in honor of the victory and to
celebrate the success of PeriyAzhwAr who had
established in such unambiguous terms, the Parathvam
of Sriman Narayanan quoting the relevant sections from
Vedas at the Sabha. Such Great PeriyAzhwAr?s Lotus
Feet are our refuge.

1. Here, sangamadutthu means: The conch is placed
inside the mouth (for blowing) madutthu.
2. It could also be sangam adutthu- uninterruptedly
3. eeNdiya sangam- (gathered sanga poets- scholars)-
In the assembly, when the scholars mentioned the
Poorva palsham (the arguments against Sriman
Narayanan?s Parathvam)..

(SrI UttamUr Swamy gives such nuances in his great
commentary.) Also Sri UttamU Swamy writes: First, King
announced Bhattar Piran vandhAn (Here comes Bhattar
Piraan), when he just entered the Sabha before even
stating the Parathva nirNayam. Then, when he won, he
celebrated by blowing uninterruptedly the conch due to
the king?s happiness.

Let us dive into the nectarine Divine verses of
PeriyAzhwAr On ThiruvEnkatam in the next post
PeriyAzhwAr ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana
dAsan

http://mail.yahoo.com

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hk45enh/M=364397.6958316.7892810.4764722/D=groups/S=1705077013:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123686892/A=2915264/R=0/SIG=11t7isiiv/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=34443/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs";>Get
 fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home
page</a></font>