You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00070 Aug 2005

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:

Dearest all,

After Poigai, bhootha, Pey, Thirumazhisai Kulasekara
and ThiruppANAzhwAr anubhavams, let us now continue on
PeriyAzhwAr anubhavams. Today?s verse is 2.7.3 of
PeriyAzhwAr Thirumozhi.

machchodumaaLikaiyERi maadhar_kaLthammidampukku
kachchodupattaikkizhiththuk kaampudhukilavaikeeRi
nichchalumtheemaikaLseyvaay!
neeLthiruvEngadaththu_endhaay!
pachchaiththamanakaththOdu
paadhirippoochchoottavaaraay.   2.7.3

Oh GovindhA! One who stands on top of the lofty peak
of Thirumalai ! Oh my dear one, who engages daily in
so many pranks such as climbing the upper stories of
neighbour?s mansions and tearing to shreds the upper
garments( kacchu) and   gold bordered, silk saris of
young girls stored in the women's quarters! Please
come here and permit me to decorate Your freshly
combed hair with the ever green maruk kozhunthu and
the red paathiri flowers.

In PeriyAzhwAr Thirumozhi gave a wonderful bath to
Kutti. Then in 2.5- she asked (in order to divert
Kutti's attention and crying while combing the long
black tresses) crow to come near and comb the hairs.
Kutti believes that crow actually is combing:-)

In 2.6- Kutti is seeing other boys going behind cows
and calves for rearing them with sticks in their
hands. Kutti is excited at that and tries to get up
asking for a stick. YasOdhA appeases Him by again
calling the crow to bring a stick for Kutti KaNNan.

Now Kutti is all dressed up. YasOdhA wants to decorate
the freshly combed tresses of the Lord with fresh and
fragrant flowers. The restless son looked out of the
window and saw His playmates getting ready to take the
cattle to their grazing places. KrishNA was in a big
hurry to join His playmates on their trip to the
forest. He asked His mother for the shepherd's crook
(stick). YasodhA once again tricked Him to keep Him at
home to enjoy His company.

She said "Oh my son! The Crow that came to help me
comb Your hair has run off with Your crook . Let me
call it back and ask it to bring back Your crook.
KrishNan is persuaded to wait until the crow brought
the stick.

After her cheating game went on , YasOdhA invited
KrishNA to stay still so that she can enjoy decorating
her Lord's shiny black hair with many kinds of fresh
flowers . In decad 2.7 known as pUcchUttal,
PeriyAzhwAr transforms himself into the fortunate
mother, YasOdhA, and enjoys the experience of touching
the silky hair of the Lord and decorating it with
Jasmine, red lily, Hibiscus and other beautiful
flowers.

aaniraimEykkan^eepOdhi arumarundhaavadhaRiyaay ?.
thEniliniyapiraanE! seNbakappoochchoottavaaraay.
  1.

Oh most merciful, Parama upakArakA! great helper, who
is sweeter than honey and jaggery! The people of this
world do not realize Your grace (anugraham ) is the
sole curing medicine for destroying the disease of
Samsaram and the elixir as well for the enjoyment of
the nithya sUris in Sri Vaikuntam . My neighbours make
fun of You for drinking fresh milk stored in their
pots right out of them and yet they are delighted that
You blessed them with Your visit to their houses. Oh
the most beautiful one ( SukumArA), You are ready to
run off and follow the cattle in the forest through
the rough and tumble and are going to be exposed to
the harsh rays of the mid-day Sun . Let me first
decorate first Your hair  with freshly picked
CheNpakA flowers . Please come here and stand still
until I complete the decoration .

karuvudaimEkangaLkaNdaal unnaikkaNdaalokkumkaN_kaL?
maruvimaNamkamazhkinRa mallikaippoochchoottavaaraay.
     2.

Oh my beautiful one ! When I enjoy Your unsurpassable
beauty with my eyes , they become cool as if I am
looking at the water-laden rainy clouds . Oh  Lord
with the incomparable beauty of eyes ! Oh my Swami who
redeemed this world with auspiciousness through Your
incarnation ! Oh  the auspicious principle behind your
consort, who is the embodiment of all  auspiciousness
( MangaLAnAm cha MangaLam, Thiruvukkum ThiruvAhiya
selvA) ! You are resting at Sri Rangam in response to
Your dear consort, MahA Lakshmi's prayer to rescue the
samsAris of this world ( LeelA VibhUthi). Please come
near and wear the jasmine
flowers of everlasting fragrance. [Thanks to Sri
Satakopan Swamin for his permission to make use of is
translations here]

AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana