You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00084 Aug 2005

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:

Dearest all,

After Poigai, bhootha, Pey, Thirumazhisai Kulasekara
and ThiruppANAzhwAr anubhavams, let us now continue on
PeriyAzhwAr anubhavams.

senniyOngu thaNthiruvEngadamudaiyaay! ulaku
thannaivaazhan^inRan^ambee! dhaamOdharaa! sadhiraa!
ennaiyum_ennudaimaiyaiyum unsakkarappoRiyoRRikkoNdu
ninnaruLEpurindhirundhEn ini_en_thirukkuRippE?
5.4.1.

When the Lord showed Himself to AzhwAr as
ThirumalirunchOlai appan, AzhwAr sang (in last ten
5.3) ?I will never ever leave You; Please bless me to
get rid of another birth?  AzhwAr had sung KaNNan as
little darling Kutti KaNNan and enjoyed in the role of
loving mother Yashodha. He also addressed his favorite
PerumAL ThiruvEnkatamudaiyaan while he sang on KaNNan
Vitthagan vENkatavaaNan (1.5.3); vEnkatavaaNaRkOr kOl
koNdu vaa(2.6.9); nicchalum theemaigaL seyvaay neeL
thiruvEnkatatthu enthaay(2.7.3); and immersed himself
in the beauty of ThiruvEnkatamudaiyaan. In Tirumala,
the Lord does not have abhaya mudrA and instead, He
shows the hand pointing towards His lotus feet
indicating devotees to surrender to His lotus feet to
get rid of
future births. That is the answer to AzhwAr?s
viNNappam. The Lord thus shows himself to AzhwAr in
ThiruvEnkadamudiayaan divya mangala vigraham. AzhwAr
also thereby understands the way and the goal and
surrenders at His lotus feet, his self, his burden and
the fruits of his saranagathi as well. AzhwAr sings in
excitement and ecstasy ?due to your grace and
bharasweekAram (acceptance of my saranagthi) I am now
blessed with everything and am a krutha kruthyan
(having done what is to be done); I express my
gratitude (krutajathai) to You, Oh Lord
ThiruvEnkatamudaiyaan!

AzhwAr concludes his prabhandham in this celebratory,
thankful and grateful mood. The "SenniyOngu " decad
(patthu) covers these magnificent thoughts of a
Kruthaj~nan, who has performed Prapatti at the sacred
feet of the Lord and who is comforted by the Lord's
acceptance of his prapatthi . PeriyAzhwAr Thirumozhi
started with the concern for the Lord's well being in
this evil world( pallAndu ) and ends with an assurance
to the Lord that he (AzhwAr ) has been fully rewarded
by Him and that there is nothing else he needs
anymore. [A wonderful eleven pAsurams]. Let us enjoy
the first one in this series on ThiruvEnkatam verses.

senniyOngu thaNthiruvEngadamudaiyaay! ulaku
ninnaruLEpurindhirundhEn ini_en_thirukkuRippE?       1

Oh Lord of Thiruvenkatamudaiyaan residing on the top
of many cool hills
reaching towards the sky! Sakala kalyANa guNa
paripoorNanE! (NambhI) Oh Lord with anantha kalyANa
guNAs, who has elected to reside there to confer Your
blessings on all the chEthanAs! DamOdharA! Lord with
Chaathuryam! [Oh Master who has the gift and power to
ignore the profound trespasses by Your devotees
[adiyArs] showing Your lotus feet as the only way]! My
body and my
possessions ? I have marked them all with the ChakrA
(showing our sEshathvam and belongingness to You and
You alone). I am seeking Your grace only as the
redeeming fruit for my athmA and its house, the body
for serving only You. I am standing here awaiting your
grace. Is there anything else you wish to see in me to
show myself and prove my sEshathvam?

With His eternal nitya vaasam on top of cool
mountains, enabling even Devas and NithyasUris arrive
there to pay their obeisance to his lotus feet,
ThiruvEnkadamudiayaan blesses us. Vem + katam-
destroyer of all sins. He stands showing His lotus
feet establishing Prapatti saasthra. He is the Lord
with Swamithvam (Lordship), Sowseelyathvam (stoops
down to mix with the lowly us), Sowlabhyathvam (easily
accessible) and Vaathsalyathvam (compassionate and
affectionate to devotees like the cow towards its
calves; mother towards her children).

DamOdharA- The One who had his waist tied down with a
small rope by a
cowherd woman (mother Yasodha)- such a simplistic
easily accessible Lord! (Sri NammAzhwAr fainted at his
sowseelyathvam- singing etthiRam,.. etthiRam..) AzhwAr
thus lovingly calls Him as Damodara!
ThiruvEnkatamudaiyaan as well, in His uthsava muRthy
form, allows Himself to be tied down with various
vaahanam, roopams and alankarams for Maasa, Varsha,
Paksha, Brahmma Uthsavams. Thus ThiruvEnkadamudaiyaan
also is Daamodharan.

SathirA- Chaathuryaa! He is the Lord with greatest
chathuryam (smartness?). If we grant only moKsham,
there will be none aspiring for that and hence we
should be able to grant whatever the devotees wish for
as there are many who come to my Lotus feet with
materialistic desires, in this Kaliyuga. Thus, He
establishes His Srinivasathvam (being with SRI at all
times in His divine Chest) and grants whatever one
wishes for at this Divya Desam. Later with His
blessings, they get seshtva jnAnam and then performs
[Saranagathi] prapatti in few births. He is
Chaathuryan. He is so merciful. (Swamy Desikan refers
to his
chathuryam in Dayasathakam)

BhaktiyOgins need to meditate your feet even when
their throats are choked with phlegm. I have performed
prapatti at your feet and have done what is to be
done. appOdhaikku ippOdhE solli vaitthEn. What else do
want or expect? Already I have the chakrA mark on my
shoulders. Hence please have mercy on me and bless me.

AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana
dAsan