You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00095 Aug 2005

Post 4

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

Continuing the topic whether seethaa is powerful on her own and why she waited
for raamaa to come and rescue her - let us see a slOkam from vaalmeeki
raamaayaNam where in there is no direct reference on her capability but three
highly significant words are interpreted by commentators in a very big way to
prove her 'capacity' or 'power'.

dhu:khaarthaa rudhathee seethaa vEpamaanaa thapasvinee |
chinthayanthee varaarOhaa pathimEva pathivrathaa || 5-21-2
thruNam antharatha: kruthvaa prathyuvaacha suchismithaa |

dhu:khaarthaa = Being tormented by grief;
tapasvinee = in a pitiful state;
varaarOhaa = with excellent limbs;
pathivrathaa = devoted to husband;
chinthayanthee = thinking;
pathim Eva = about husband alone;
suchi smithaa = with pleasant smiles;
seethaa = seetha;
rudhathee = was sobbing;
vEpamaanaa = shivering;
kruthvaa = making;
thruNam = a grass straw;
antharatha: = in between (herself and Ravana);
prathyuvaacha = spoke in reply.

Meaning: Being tormented by grief, and in a pitiful state, that seethaa, with
excellent limbs, devoted to husband, thinking about husband alone, and with
pleasant smiles, was then sobbing, shivering and placing a straw in between
herself and raaavaNa spoke thus in reply.

[Thapasvinee also means a lady, one who is doing penance -thapas]

The meaning, as given above, appears not directly related to our current topic
of 'Is she capable?' But that three words - thruNam antharatha: kruthvaa is
interpreted to give a lot of meanings including her powers or capacity to kill
raavaNa. Hence it is being included here.

Sri periya vaachchaan pillai who is titled as vyaakhyaana chakravarthy -
emperor among commentators [perhaps got that title for commenting on these 3
words?] interprets these in the following ways - gives 26 different meanings.
[thanks to sri vanamaamalai padhmanabhan swamy who gave this list of meanings
to me in a private mail and I have changed the serial order he gave to me, to
suit my context here]

The 26 points are
        1.      By placing the grass she conveys to raavaNan - By my powers, I
can convert the grass into a powerful missile like weapon to threaten you or
kill you, oh raavaNa, so that either you would return to your abode or run away
from here out of fear [like how my husband raama converted the grass into a
brahmaasthram which perhaps you should have heard now through your spy network].

        2.      Like the easy plucking of the grass with the fingertips,
seethaa points out to ravaNan, "I can remove your heads with my fingertips. I
am so much powerful".

        3.      Seethaa indicates, "I can burn you so easily like burning this
dry grass with the fire of my chastity".

        4.      Seethaa indirectly tells raavaNan, "Like how I plucked this
grass from its roots, My Lord will pluck your heads from your shoulders and
rescue me.

        5.      Since, even the grass is in some respects good, She throws the
blade of grass to highlight that raavaNa is not even comparable to that grass.

        6.      Seethaa considers raavaNa so lowly, that he is not having any
intelligence like that grass.

        7.      It is customary to welcome the kings and royals, by offering
them proper seat and hosting them with food. Seethaa piraatti welcomed raavaNan
by offering a seat of grass and expected him to reform himself - a chance being
given to change.

        8.      Having seen the grass placed in between, seethaa feels perhaps
rAvaNA would understand that she does not like him and he will return.

        9.      The grass acts as a differentiator - the separator, indicating
seethaa and raavaNa are of two different heterogeneous groups and cannot mingle.

        10.     Since, women of noble families and well-mannered type, should
not talk directly to any unknown men, other than their husband, she placed the
grass in front of her and talked to raavaNan through the grass.

        11.     Since, raavaNan did not heed to the good words of maareechan
and so on, he was destined to doom. Hence, the grass is thrown in between as a
synonym to replicate his bad nature and his inevitable doom.

        12.     Since, piraatti blesses an achEthanam like grass by touching
it, even raavaNan can become so much blessed and made to understand the good
words of her.

        13.     Seethaa speaks her mind 'hey raavaNa, You are not fit to be a
human being, so, like cattle, you should also eat grass instead of other things.

        14.     Having desired for the most wrong person like me, raavaNa, you
can get happiness only from this grass.

        15.     Since raavaNa earlier said, "I will pile all wealth like
clothes, ornaments this kingdom land etc all to you oh seethaa, She tells in

        16.     She highlights to raavana, "hey, I am not bothered about my
life. I consider my life like this grass. I survive here only for the sake of
my raama piraan".

        17.     The whole lankaa is going to be destroyed like a dry grass. At
that time, perhaps, oh raavaNa, you will have no abode to stay. Here, take this
grass for building your future residence.

        18.     Similar to this small grass plant spreading over a vast land,
let your mind be diverted from me and turn that towards your wife [or wives].

        19.     If you surrender to Sri raamaa, He will neither reject you, nor
punish you for your offence done to me. Like how the small dry grass
[thurumbu], being washed to the shores by the waves and thus saved from getting
drowned in the deep waters, hey raavaNa, you will also be saved, by that ocean
of mercy raama.

        20.     Akin to me throwing this grass, you throw and shed your all
vices and bad thoughts about me and surrender.

        21.     If you want to survive, you fall like this grass and surrender.

        22.     Since, the Lord is prevalent everywhere, He will also be
present in the grass - thurumbilum iruppAn and the RAGhava Simham will pierce
through grass and emerge out to kill you.

        23.     It is customary to vow by throwing sand in air -maNNai vaari
thooRRuthal - piraatti throws the grass and vows that he will be defeated by
Sri raama piraan.

        24.     Since, raavaNa indulged in bad deeds of desiring others wives,
he is fit to be tortured through the eyes, may be by throwing bits of the grass
into eyes - akin to sukkiran kaNNai thurumbAl kiLariya.

        25.     kAkAsuran's eyes, was reduced to half eyes by a grass piece.
Likewise, Sri raamapiraan will also reduce yours.

        26.     Sri nArAyaNan demolished the asura thirindhadampOdhvan. you may
also face such an end with this grass.

Oh what a great interpretation of the three words - highly significant words.
That is why it is said great people convey a lot in small words and small
deeds.

Dhasan
Vasudevan m.g

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/VkWolB/TM