You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00111 Aug 2005

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:

Dearest all,

After PeriyAzhwAr anubhavams, let us now continue on
his darling daughter GodhA PiraaTTi?s Naacchiyaar
Thirumozhi verses... on ThiruvEnkatam?

Two taniyans have been ascribed to nAcciyAr tirumozhi.
After a brief explanation of the taniyans, we will
enjoy ThiruvEnkatam pAsurams  in nAcciyAr tirumozhi,[
wherein the young heart of gOdAi pours out the love
for the Lord in so many different words and styles. At
the end of it all, we will summarize the various
managaLASasanams done for ANDAL by different AcAryAs.]

I have reproduced here the wonderful translation
written by Smt Kalyani Krishnamachari who lives in the
USA.. She has compiled based on our Sri Satakopan
Swamin?s treatise and also taking into account  the
commentaries written by Sri UttamUr Swamy. [thanks to
Smt Kalyani Krishnamachari for granting permission to
make use of her translations for our enjoyment in this
series]

tirukkaNNa mangaiyAnDAn's blissful taniyan for ANDAL's
nAcciyAr tirumozhi is a great gift for us:

allinAttAmarai mEl AraNangin intuNaivi
malli nAdAnda mada mayil - melliyalAL
Ayar kula vEndanAgattAL ten puduvai
vEyar payanda viLakku

allinAttAmarai mEl AraNangin intuNaivi:
ANDAL is the closest friend (priya sakhi) of SrI
mahAlakshmI, who gives sEvai as kanakapadmAsani on
fresh-bloomed lotus in the forest of red lotuses with
beautiful petals. svAmi dESikan prays to SrI
mahAlakshmI (in SrI stuti), as She is seated on a
golden lotus, which is amidst a forest of lotuses
(sthAnam yasyA: sarasijavanam).

As ramAdevI's dearest friend, ANDAL stands by the side
of emperumAn, joins forces with SrI dEvI (Aranangin
tuNaivi) and both of them take turns to plead with
emperumAn to salvage the sinners and save them. Like
the drum which gets beaten on both sides, perumAL is
stuck between SrIdevI on one side and bhUdevI on the
other; when SrIdevI tries to plead with Him on behalf
of her sinning children, He tries to turn His face
away and what does He see? bhUdevI trying to continue
the pleading!

malli nADAnDa maDa mayil:

ANDAL is like a female peacock who reigned supreme
over the mallinADu - land that surrounds SrI
villiputtUr.

melliyalAL:
ANDAL is "melliyalAL" - she is very soft-hearted; even
though, as Her children, we commit a lot of sins,
being patient as bhUdEvi and forgiving as kamalA
(SrIdEvI), She ignores our faults and gives Her hand
to save us. The reason why SrI svAmi dESikan says (in
gOdAstuti): "sAkshAt kshamAm kAruNayA kamalAmivAnyAm
gOdAm ananya SaraNa: SaraNam prapadyE" is that he is
following tirukkaNNa mangaiyAnDAn's mArgam.

Ayar kula vEndanAgattAL:

"petram mEyttuNNum kulattil" piranda ANDAL became one
with rAjagOpAlan, who was also the king of Ayar kulam.

ten puduvai vEyar payanda viLakku:

SrI tirukkaNNa mangaiyAnDAn states next that ANDAL is
the mangaLa jyoti (auspicious lamp) that SrI vishNu
cittar of SrI villiputtUr had. "ooRRamudaiyAi periyAi
ulaginil tORRamAi ninRa cuDare" - ANDAL calls her
nAthan thus. She prays to kAmadEvan "vittagan vEnkata
vANan ennum, viLakkinil puga ennai vidikkiRRiyE" and
through Her SrI sUktams, ANDAL merges into "vEnkata
vANan ennum viLakku" (the lamp that is Lord
vEnkatEsvaran), and shines brilliantly as a double
jyoti.

kOlasuri Sangai mAyan sevvAyin guNam vinavum
seelattinaL ten tirumalli nAdi, sezhunguzhal mel
mAlait toDai ten arangarukkeeyum madippuDaiya
sOlaikkiLi, avaL tooya naRpAdam tuNai namakke

(composed by First vAnamAmalai svAmi)
This taniyan states emphatically that only the sacred
feet of ANDAL, whose sweet words resemble those of a
garden parrot, and who brought greatness to the vEyar
kulam of periyAzhwAr, are the refuge for us (today,
tomorrow and for ever).

What kind of "sOlaikkiLi" (garden parrot) is She? The
author of the taniyan explains: She is "kOlasuri
Sangai mAyan sevvAyin guNam vinavum seelattinaL". (As
we shall see soon under the pAsuram "karuppUram
nARumO"), She is trying to find out the first-hand
experience of (something that She is not blessed with,
yet) the exquisite conch, pAncajanyam, and asks:

"Oh! pAncajanya AzhvAre! You are happily seated in the
hand of vaDamaduraiyAr mannan vAsudEvan, you are
constantly enjoying bhaghavAn's beautiful lips. Oh!
kOlapperum sangaraiyA! You get to enjoy sengaNmAl's
vAi tIrTTam (saliva in His mouth) when He blows you;
How do His beautiful, coral-like lips taste like? Do
they smell like pacchai kaRpURam (edible camphor)? Or,
do they smell like the beautiful, red lotus? Do they
taste like kaRkaNdu (rock candy)?"

She is also "ten tirumalli nAdi, sezhunguzhal mel
mAlait toDai ten arangarukkeeyum madippuDaiya
sOlaikkiLi". She is the queen of tirumalli nAdu (land
surrounding SrI villiputtUr); She decorated Her long,
thick hair with kadamba mAlai (garland) and presented
it to azhagiya maNavALan (arangan).

madippuDaiya sOlaikkiLi:

It is interesting to note that piLLai lOkam jIyar in
his "taniyan vyAkyAnam" for nAcciyAr tirumozhi tries
to establish Godai as a kiLi (parrot) in so many ways:
"periyAzhvAr tirumagaLennum madippuDaiya kiLi" - the
parrot who had the honor of being periyAzhvAr's
esteemed daughter; "AzhvAr Asramattil kiLi" - a parrot
in AzhvAr's Asramam; "periyAzhvAr tEnum pAlum
amuDumAya tirumAl tirunAmattAlE vaLarttu eDutta kiLi"
- the kiLi who was brought up by periyAzhvAr with the
Lord's tirunAmam which is sweet like honey, milk and
nectar; "vaLarttu eDuppArkkum kAlilE vaNanga vENdum
padiyAna kiLi" - the kiLi, who exceeded Her father and
thus became even worshipable by him (by becoming the
Lord's consort).

ANDAL is considered "nArINAm uttamAvaDhU" (the most
noble of all the women), since She declared
"mAniDavaRkku enRu pEccuppaDil vAzhgilEn" (I will not
live if I am betrothed to a human) and lived Her life
with great, divine love for kaNNan; with extreme love
for Her Lord, She goes to the extent of praying to
kAmadEvan to help Her serve kESava nambhi's
tiruvadigaL (feet) and failing in that attempt, tries
to the get the help of kuyil (a bird) and sends
messages through the clouds, ocean etc. ANDAL's seelam
(purity) and pAtivratA mahimai (chastity) are what
makes Her the most noble of all women. We will see
next, how this great treasure of womenhood, enjoyed
and experienced the samslEsham and vislEsham (kooDal
and ooDal - sangamam and (false) anger) with Her own
Lord, whom She loved with all Her heart.

[It is not the tradition in some temples to recite the
above mentioned taniyan.
Let us enjoy the Naachiyaar Thirumozhi verse from next
posts

AndAL ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana