You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2005

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00116 Aug 2005

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika Mahadesikaya namah:

Dearest all

Today 's is His Thirunakshathram. The Sri Jayanthi-
the day Kutti KaNNan appeared. The following incidents
have been reported to be about Kutti KaNNan?s
chEshtithangaL. On the birthday of Kutti KaNNan?s,
this is adiyEn?s humble birthday offering to the
little darling Lord of ours. If we contemplate on His
stealing the butter incidents, He would steal our
hearts as well and get us rid of all our future
births...

1. One old Gopika sthree came to YashOdhA. ?YashOdhE!
It is not enough, if you have just given birth. You
should know how to bring up a well-mannered
child. Do you know what did your boy do? He came into
my home and asked for milk rice (paaRchOru). He ate
that and then asked for butter. After eating food, I
will not give butter- I said categorically. He angrily
went to the backyard of our house and tied all calves
to their respective mother cows? legs. The calves
drank all milk and could not even walk with their
stomachs
so much full. I happened to go there and see Him also
standing smiling sheepishly. ?yENdaa ippadi seydhhay?
(why did you do like that?)?- When I asked Him, He
said immediately, ?maami! (aunty!) Your calves are all
very
lean. They should drink more milk and then only they
will become chubby like me. My mother gives me milk
saying that then only I would become fat and
chubby. That is why I released them, maami. Then they
will become fat and chubby. Hence forth, you also do
that maami- He advised in addition to doing
that mischief.

2. Another GopasthrI said, ?ammA YashOdhE! I gave
butter (veNNai) to your Boy KaNNan, and do you know
what He did. He went to the back yard and distributed
to dogs, cats, and monkeys. I got terribly angry. I
caught hold of Him and asked Him ?why did you do like
that??. He said ?maami.. Your butter stinks and has
become spoiled. How can I eat that? At least let these
poor animals eat. See, they too are not drinking. It
is so unbearable. At least here after give some good
butter to them. He immediately fled from my
hand.

3. Girls of KaNNan?s age knocked the door of yaSodhA,
?maami.. mammi.. We had adorned our entrances with 16
point kOlam, coloured kOlam with flower in
the middle etc.. Your KaNNan comes and says, ?This
lotus kOlam is not good; this 16 point kOlam is ugly;
this middle flower does not look nice?- saying
this, he spoils all kOlams that we had drawn. ?.
Please call him inside so that we can continue with
our kOlam preparation at our homes

4. maamI.. your kaNNan (when my mother was combing my
hair) places the PoosaNi (pumpkin) flower (which was
kept in the middle of kOlam above the cow dung) on my
head, without my knowledge. romba paduttharaan maami..

I am reminded of Swamy desikan's Gopala Vimsathy,
slokam 5. "hartthum kumbhE..

KaNNan slowly enters into the kitchen. He looks there;
and here; no one is around. This is the right time.
YasOdhA, after getting vexed with the mischievous
butter-stealing acts, keeps the butter in a different
container and at a different place to mislead our
Kutti KaNNan. But our Lord- the sarvEshwaran- Does He
not know where the ?veNNai? is? Will He get misled?
No.

He tip-toes towards the big pot (which is tall as He)-
He opens the lid. And with great effort, puts the
whole hand in upto the shoulder and takes a handful of
butter; puts the whole lot into His mouth. Not enough.
He dips in again! Oh My God! YasOdhA has come in! She
has seen everything. He is caught stealing the butter-
with His mouth full of butter, - with His hand fully
dipped into the pot. What will He do now?
SarvEshwaran- Our Lord Kutti KaNNan is ?scared? of the
visible angry mother approaching Him. Will she hit
Him? Will she scold Him? What puishment will she give
Him? He is perplexed.

Should He run away? He has taken off one foot and is
ready to run. At the same time, He is not able to run
away because He is cornered and fully caught red
handed. He is neither standing nor is He running! The
little Lord of ours has decided to close His eyes,
unable to see what is going to happen, thinking that
He can avoid the punishment by closing His eyes! The
Universal Lord,- who protects the whole Universe and
even beyond, simply and effortlessly in His Yoga
nitthirai on AdhisEshan, with complete awareness
and knowledge of all and every thing that happens
everywhere- is having His eyes now closed to avoid
seeing His mother coming towards Him!

Swamy Sri Vedanta Desikan?s enjoyment is beyond
description in words.
Sarvam SrI KrishNArpaNamasthu
GIthAchAryan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam

KaNNan kazhaliNai