You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Aug 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00147 Aug 2007

Post 6

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

We were continuing the study of how closely aazhvaar followed srimadh bhaagavatham in his thirumozhi.

Now I will express my doubt in this post, since I do not want to test your patience quoting more slokams and paasurams. While I wait for responses, we will continue with more such slokams and verses.

1.      It is seen that during the avathaaram of krishNa, in sargam 3 of dhasama skandham in sreemadh bhaagavatham, sukha brahmam does not say explicitly in

§         what nakshathrm Krishna was born ?

§         what thithi ?

§         what month ?

§         how was the planetary positions at the time of krishna's birth?

like how vaalmeeki has described in that baala kaaNdam slOkam.

To quote slokams and meaning:

athha sarva gunOpEthah kaalah parama sObhanah |

yarhy Eva ajana janma rksham saantha rksha graha thaarakam || 10-3-1

meaning: Suka brahmam said: 'Then there was the supreme hour all-auspicious and most suitable with the constellation of Rohini rising and all the stars and planets in a favorable position.

note: this 'ajana janma rksham' is interpreted as 'rOhiNi' nakshathram. A clarification is needed on how this is derived so.

dhisah prasEdhur gaganam nirmalOdu ganOdhayam |

mahee mangala bhooyishTa pura graama vrajaakaraa || 10-3-2

meaning: Everywhere was peace, the multitude of stars twinkled in the sky and the cities, towns, pasturing grounds and mines were at their best.

manaamsi aasan prasannaani saadhoonam asura dhruhaam |

jaayamanE ajanE thasmin nEdhur dhundhubhayah dhivi || 10-3-5

meaning: The minds of the saintly, oppressed as they had been by the asura [Kamsa and his men], turned perfectly contented when in that situation the kettledrums together resounded with the Unborn One to be born.

niseethE thama udbhoothE jaayamaanE janaardhanE |

dhEvakyaam dhEva roopiNyaam vishNuh sarva guhaa sayah |

aaviraaseedh yathha praachyaam dhi si indhu: iva pushkalah || 10-3-8

meaning: In the deepest dark of the night [at midnight] Janaardhana, the Worlds Well-wisher, appeared from the divine form of dhEvakee,  VishNu, the One residing in each heart had manifested complete in every respect, like the full moon in the east.

Next comes those two famous slokams, which describe 'child vishNu' – ' KrishNa' as seen by vasudhEva.

tham adbhutham baalakam ambuja eekshaNam

chathur bhujam sankha gadhaaryudhaayudhham |

sreevathsa lakshmam gala s Obhi kousthubham

peethambaram saandhra payOdha soubhagam || 10-3-9

mahaarha vaidhoorya kireeta kundalathvishaa

parishvaktha sahasra kunthaLam |

udhdhaama kaanchi angadha kankaNa aadibhir

virOchamaanam vasudhEva aikshatha || 10-3-10

meaning: That wonderful child was, resplendent with lotus-like eyes and four arms holding the different weapons, decorated with the Sreevathsa mark, the shining Kousthubha around His neck, His yellow garments and a beautiful hue like that of rainclouds. VasudhEva saw Him brilliantly decorated sparkling with a vaidoorya studded headgear [helmet or kreetam] and earrings to the beauty of profusely scattered locks of hair, an exquisite belt around the waist and bands and bracelets on His arms.

2.      Subsequently vasudhEva [father] does a prayer and then mother dhEvaki does her prayer. Then Krishna – that Vishnu in the full form as 4 handed fully armed lord answers and then goes on to command father to take him to 'aaippaadi'.

3.      In comparison see how vaalmeeki did in that 'raama avathaara kaalam' in that baala kaaNdam of raamaayaNam –

thathah yajnE samaapthE thu rithoonaam shaT samathyayuh |

thathah cha   dhvaadhasE maasE  chaithrE naavamikE thithou || 1-18-8

nakshathrE adhithi dhaivathyE swa uccha samsthEshu panchasu |

grahEshu karkaTE lagnE vaak pathih indhunaa saha || 1-18-9

pra udhyamaanE jagan naathham sarva lOka namaskrutham |

kousalyaa ajanayath raamam dhivya lakshaNa samyutam || 1-18-10

see here how clear it is

chaithrE – chithirai maasam – april or may,

naavamikE thithou – navami thithi

karkaTE lagnE – in the lagnam of karkkatakam or cancer

vaak pathi indhunaa saha – the guru who is lord of speech in conjunction with indhu the moon – guru chandhra yOgam

5 grahams are in top position – which five is a question – can

nakshathrE adhithi dhaivathyE –- here only a little more knowledge is required –- who is athi-dhEvathai for each star – that star which has 'adhithi' as its athidhEvathai – viz. punarvasu.

Perhaps some of the bhaagavathaas who are good in astrologycan give a list of all 27 stars with their athidhEvathais as a list.

4.       Such a clarity is not there in sreemadh bhaagavatham. Learned bhaagavathaas are requested to correct me by quoting the slokam reference number and sargam.

Only half portion of my doubt is given here. We will see in next post the other half.

Dhasan

Vasudevan m.g.

--
Vasudevan MG __._,_.___