Editor & Publisher "Sri Ranga Sri"
From: Shalini & R S Narayanan To: Anbil K Ramaswamy Subject: (no subject) Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 06:04:39 +0530

Dear Sri Ramaswamy,
I saw your article on Sri Hanumaan. It is very interesting and the
sloka at the end (viz.) "AsAdhya SAdhaka SwAmi ..." is a real panacea for all physical and mental ills. It is my personal experience too.

Coming to the confusion re. the date of his Jananam, a clarification is
given on pages 80-81 of a new publication in Tamil by LIFCO called "Sri Veera Anjaneyan" containing many details and songs on him collected by BhAgavatha Siromani Sri Ramakrishna Iyengar. Samaratha Ramadas has sung an abhang "Anjani udhari janmuni vanara jhale hanuman, vasantha rithu madhu masa pournima dhinakara udayaca velee" (madhu-chaitra).

According to tradtion, Anjana and Kesari were privately conversing on a
hilltop on chitra pournami day when a roaring sound was heard. When Kesari asked who it was, Vaayu appeared that under instructions from Brahma, he was to impregnate Anjana that night. Thus, garbhadanam
was on chitra pournami day.

Nine months later, under margazhi Moola star, Hanumaan was born.
Further, the asterism on pournami would be generally Arudra. Fourteenth star from it is Moola.

Thus, for Hanumaan, conception was on pournami and birth on amavasai.

The author has quoted prof. K. Srinivasa Raghavan of Kottaiyur and
author of "Chronology of Ancient Bharat" for the above clarification.

Regards,
Srinivasa Daasan.