You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Dec 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00055 Dec 2003

Dec 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear members

Adiyen was very sad to hear the news of Sri. U.Ve Goshtipuram
Ramanujachariar Swamigal. I believe that he had kidney failure which lead to
his attaining of thirunadu.

Adiyen had the good fortune of coming across Sri. U.Ve Goshtipuram
Ramanujachariar Swami two years back. Adiyen spent only 15 mins with him and
within that 15 mins adiyen realized what a great mahan he was.

The incident of my meeting with him is as follows:

Adiyen had gone for my sister-in-law's marriage. Sri. U.Ve Goshtipuram Swami
was related to the mappilai side and hence had come to attend the marriage.
Adiyen went with my wife and prostrated before him. Also my wife's chittya
was there. Adiyen had asked my chittya a question earlier before this
meeting happened:

Question: One of the person here asked me the following question. We have to
adorn thiruman kappu on our forehead and in other 11 places in the shape of
"LORD's FEET". If the thiruman depicts FEET how can we actually put the
thiruman on PERUMAL's FOREHEAD". Adiyen did not know the answer and hence
wanted to ask our Swami this question. Adiyen had requested my wife's
chittya to ask him this question. Instead of asking this question, my
chittya asked our Swami " Please explain about thiruman kappu".

Answer: Our Swami started explaining the thiruman kappu and how we have to
adorn. He also explained that bhattachariars used to wear 4 thirumans only
and it depicts the vyuha forms (Vasudeva, ShankarSanan, Pradhyumnan,
Aniruddhan ). Also he explained how we have to wear 12 thirumans etc. Then
he stated that thiruman has to be adorned in the form of "FEET" of the lord.
Some people state why then put the feet on lord's forehead itself. The
question itself is wrong. He said that for us, we have to wear it with the
shape of feet of lord and assume that we are always in remembrance of this
thiruvadi. For the lord himself, it is just a "KAPPU" or "Rakshai" as well
as alankaram.That is all. It is not the feet when adorned on lord and a
rakshai.

The reason for my stating of this incident is that great acharyas will not
only answer the question that was asked but they will also answer the
questions that we might get from their answers.

As he did not have much time and was leaving, he also asked me to come and
stay with him for 10 days to learn under him. Adiyen does not know what
arugadai I had, but this shows the magnanimous heart of him. His name
"Ramanujachariar" is very very apt. Swami Ramanuja (Sri Bhashyakarar) had a
magnanimous heart and hence was called "EMPERUMANAR". Similarly, our
Goshtipuram Swami had a magnanimous heart can be realized from this small
incident.

Adiyen wishes to finish this article stating that any errors is mine and due
to my mis-understanding of Swami's explanations. Any credits if at all in
this article is our Swami's and my Acharyan.

Regards
Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan
Lakshminarasimhan S.

Srimathe Lakshminrusimha divya pAduka sevika
srivan satakopa Sri Narayana Yathindra MahadesikAya Namaha

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/VkWolB/TM