You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Dec 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00049 Dec 2004

Dec 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear BhakthAs :

Tomorrow is the Thiru Nakshthram of adiyEn's SamAsrayaNa
AchAryan , HH the 43rd Jeeyar of Ahobila Matam , Sri VaNN
SathakOpa Sri Veeraraghava YathIndhra MahA Desikan known as
the DEvanAr ViLAgam Jeeyar , who hails from an agraharam
near the dhivya dEsam of Oppiliappan Koil .

It is with DaNdavath PraNAmams to my SamAsrayaNa AchAryan
that adiyEn dedicates this series on ThiruppallANDu of PeriyAzhwAr .

Earlier I had written about the sources from which adiyEn is
planning to summarize the vyAkhyAnams on ThiruppallANDu
by AchAryAs during the last five centuries .  Here is an excerpt
on the scope of these postings:

> adiyEn will also cover the Sanskrit Commentary of Sri Upanishad
> BhAshyakArar (16th Century C.E) on ThiruppallANDu ,
> Sri Periya ParakAla Swamy (1676-1737 C.E) ,
> Thirukudanthai Desikan(1700-1783 C.E)  and Thirukudanthai
> Sri RanganAtha Swamy ( PeriyANDavan Thiruvadi )  have written
> in the last five hundred years additioanl > commentaries on
>THIRUPPALLANDU . All of these commentaries have been edited by
> Oppiliappan Koil SrimAn V.N.Vedanatha Desikan on behalf of his AchAryan ,
> HH Srimath PoundarIkapuram Andavan Swamy in 2002. Since all
> of them  are in MaNi PravALam or in Sanskrit , adiyEn's value add
> will be in the form of summary of these commentaries on
> ThiruppallANDu in English for extended enjoyment by aasthikAs
>during this coming sacred month connecting to SrivilliputthUr .

Other Commentaries and Saarams
*************************************
Sriman T.C.A.VenkatEsan has assembled the avathArikai (Introduction)
of Parama KaaruNeekar PeriyavAcchAn PILLai , the VyAkhyAna
Chakravarthy on ThiruppallANDu and the meanings of the 12 paasurams of
ThiruppallANDu , which you can enjoy at:

http://www.acharya.org/vyakyanam/tpallan/index.html

The Scope of current postings
*********************************
The structure of these ThiruppallANDu postings would have
these features :

1. The three Taniyans for ThiruppallANDu and the VyAkhyAnams
for them by Sri Vaathsya AhObilAcchAr Swamy . Two of these three
Taniyans are by Swamy Naathamuni composed at Srirangam
at the tiem of Adhyayana Uthsavam and the third is by Sri ParAsara Bhattar
durign his stay at ThirukkOshtiyUr dear to PeriyAzhwAr .

2. Introductions (avathArikais) by Upanishad BhAshyakArar ,
Srimath Periya ParakAla Swamy ,Srimath Thirukkudanthai
Desikan and SrI RanganAtha Swamy of Thirukkudanthai .

3. Individual PaalANDu Pasurams with excerpts from the commentaries of
the above Four Commentators to bring in the complimentary points of view
and the new insights .

It will take some time to complete this kaimakryam but AchArya
anugraham will help to conclude this humble effort .

adiyEn will conclude this posting with Swamy  Desikan's
Prabhandha Saara Paasuram relating to PeriyAzhwAr :

pEraNintha VilliputthUrathaanitannil
  perunchOthi tanil thOnRum PerumAnE , munn
seeraNintha PaaNDiyan tann nenju tannil
  thyukkaRa Maal paratatthuvatthait-tiRamAc-cheppi
VaaraNamEl Mathurai valam varavE , Vaanil
  maal GarudavAhanAit-tOnRa vaazhthum
yEraNi PallANDu Mudharp-paattu naanURRu
  yezhupatthu onRumiraNDum yenakku udhavu NeeyE

(Meaning): Oh the MahAn , who was born in the ceelbrated
SrivilliputthUr on a Aani Svaathi nakshathram day ! Once upon a  time ,
You instructed the famous PaanDyan KIng in a clear and comprehensive
manner that left no doubt in his mind about the Supermacy of Sriamn
NaarAyaNan and was honored by him to ride on the raaja veedhis of
Mathurai , his capitol . Your Lord Sriman NaarAyaNa appeard on
the sky on the back of GarudAzhwAn and recieved your mangaLAsAasnam
of ThiruppallANDu . May You bless me with the knowledge of ThiruppallANDu
and the other 473 paasurams of the Thirumozhi bearing Your name !

PeriyAzhwAr ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam ,
ThUppul KulatthadiyArkaL adiyAr poRRp-padham pORRi
Daasan ,  Oppiliappan KOil VaradAchAri Sadagopan

 P.S: Please do remember to help in housing the priests
of Lord Ranganatha at the Pomona temple , well versed in
Ubhaya VedAntham . We have 19 days left to conclude this
kaimakaryam for the BahgavathAs serving the Lord at HIs
Pomona , NY home  .

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/VkWolB/TM