You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Dec 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00072 Dec 2004

Dec 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrimatE Raamaanujaaya Namaha !SrimatE Nigamaanta Mahaa Desikaaya Namaha
!Srimate Sri Lakshminrisimha Divyapadukasevaka Srivan Satakopa Sri
NarayanaYatindra Mahadesikaya namaha !

Dear Bhagavathas,
While I appreciate the explanations given based on the sloka by swamin Ramanuja
, I feel , in today's fast world , if we try to bring in all  do's and dont's
as per the books , we would only drive the youth away from doing the Nithya
karmas . Our Acharyas  themselves have diluted a lot for us , to make people
get attracted to  come for making Saranagathi to Sriman Narayanan , only to
save all our souls ( Panchasamskaram and Baranyasam) . As such we on our part
should not put in all restrictions in the initial stage itself. Once people
start getting used to  doing Japa , they would be tempted to read connected
books  and then , they themselves will follow the rules of the game.
In the meanwhile , it would be easier for the youth of today , who is living in
the computer world  and addicted to all mechanisation , to use Tulsi or
Rudraksha or spatika mala for counting purposes during japa. What is most
important is that , when such chanting of mantras are done with the help of
beads , the beads themselves get some power in them due to the greatness of
Bhagavan nama and so they are to be handled carefully. So it would be better
for one to keep those japa malais in Perumal sannathi instead of wearing all
through the day , since , during our other works , we may lose our body purity
. This is one of the reasons , the elders in the family  used to tell us to
wash ourselves , especially hands and feet before entering Perumal sannadhi in
the house .
If people want to wear malais after bath for the whole day , they may do so
with  a different set  instead of the one used for the Japa counting.
This also will give us a feeling of holiness while chanting mantras , since we
ourselves would be disciplined by our actions.
We should never forget that we have not reached a stage of Alwars or other
devotees , who could freely play with the Lord and the mantras. They are
important for our salvation and have got to be handled very carefully with all
sincerity and holiness.
Please do not get me wrong that I am trying to go against the sampradayam. My
only anxiety is the youth of today have got to be roped as they will be the
torch bearers of our sampradayam tomorrow.
Trust this explanation could be appealing to all.
Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan- G.Sampath.

"M.N.Ramanuja" <mnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear swamis,
Regarding Gayatri japa, it is said in Agni purana in
Tulakaveri mahatmya Adhyaya 14 that japamala should not be used for
counting Gayatri mantram. It should only be counted on the parvas or the
folds of the right hand fingers. Starting from the middle fold of the ring
finger, going down and left and upwards on the little finger and going
right on the top folds and down the index finger giving 10 counts.
For counting 28 or 108 therefore one has to count in tens on the right
hand and note each cycle with the help of chalk markings or pebbles
or left fingers.

It is said that the lower two folds of the middle finger are called Meru
and the counting should be done circumambulating them. It is said that since
Gayatri is the root of the Vedas and the Vedas are recited using the
above-mentioned method for counting the sooktas, Gayatri should also be
counted likewise. The following sloka is quoted in authority.

parvabhir gaNayEt sankhyAm nAkshamAlAdibhir nripa;
GayatryA vedamUlatwAd vEdah parvasu gIyatE.

There are many more do's and dont's quoted therein which are interesting
to note and follow.

Dasan
Ramanuja

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Karthik Ragavan wrote:

> Dear Swamis,
>
> I have a clarification in the usage of malai during
> Gayathri japam.  During my daily sandhyavandhanam, I
> have the practice of using Rudraksha malai during
> Gayathri Japa & Spatika Malai during Ashtakshara japam
> and wear the same after the japam is completed.  I
> remove the malais during my night prayers before going
> to bed.
>
> I heard somebody advising that it is not right to wear
> the japa malai and it is supposed to be kept back in
> the sannadhi after the japa is over.  The malais used
> for daily wearing after snanam should not be used for
> Japa.
>
> I am confused on this and seek the stalwarts of this
> group to clarify on the same.
>
> Regards,
>
> Karthik Ragavan

> http://mail.yahoo.com