You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2002

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00009 Feb 2002

Dear Bhagavatas,

Please find attached below an edited version of my earlier post.
Unfortunately, of late I have become more engulfed myself by the
secular life (due to time restrictions resulting from my new job) and
as such did not take the appropriate time to proof read my writeup
before posting it. Please accept my appologies.

Dear Bhagavatas,

I had written about the issue of lack of patriotic fervour a while
back, and solicited some interesting responses. I am bringing the
topic up again as the issue has been on my mind over the past few
weeks. I am disheartened to see our homeland being overwhelmed by
secular/anti Vedic dogma. Why do we sit by idly and watch this
onslaught of propaganda being launched by the so called secular
intelligentsia of India. In fact, not only are we
passive observers, but some of us also inadvertently contribute to
the onslaught by supporting publications that propound this
propaganda such as the Hindu. Are we hapless? Apathetic? Have we
been influenced by the propaganda, or are we merely ingrates?
Perhaps the following observations can help us choose the
correct term:

1. Many of us subscribe to publications (for example "The Hindu")
that openly
denigrate the Vedic paradigm and culture.
2. When there was the possibility of an idol being removed from the
Srirangam
Temple, we wrote letters beseeching Mr. Kurnanidhi (a champion
of the anti Vedic movement) for help
3. Given the current level of corruption in India, many of us feel
disillusioned.
As such, we have resolved that India is no longer a dharma bhumi.
Not only that,
but now we have further resolved that North America is the dharma
bhumi in the
21 st century.
4. Many of us watch Indian movies (especially Tamil movies), even
though they denigrate the Vedic paradigm and culture.

I could proceed by listing many more observations, but I feel the
observations listed above should be sufficient. Please find appended
below my original post on patriotic fervour. I sincerely hope it can
inspire at least a few positive responses.

A disillusioned admirer of the Vedic Paradigm,

Venkat

When our Itihasas are overflowing with patriotic fervour, why is it
that we pay so little attention to the welfare of sacred homeland?
Why is it that I have not seen any discussion on patriotism, or the
welfare of our sacred homeland, on any of the groups Bhakti or
Malolan? Is not the welfare of the whole essential for the welfare of
the parts (divya desams)? Now one can claim that, we are Brahmanas,
and, as such we should not concern our selves with such matters.
However, such a claim is untenable, for we are all living a adharmic
life (strictly speaking none of us, are living according to the
prescribed codes of conduct.) I have not posted a note along these
lines on either of the other discussion groups for fear of receiving
needless official rebukes from the respective moderators.

Patriotism-implies allegiance or loyalty. Allegiance or loyalty to
what? Allegiance or loyalty, to the Vedic paradigm and to the land
where the paradigm manifested (I am using the term manifested instead
of created-for the fundamental premise of Vedantic paradigm is that
Vedas are beginningless) Loyalty to the paradigm means
1. Having appreciation for it, even if one cannot relate to all
aspects
2. Having desire to follow it to the extent possible, given individual
limitations
3. Desire to help others who are following it, even if you yourself
as an individual are not able to and so on

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
srirangasri-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list