You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00118 Feb 2003

Dear Sri krishna Tatachar,
I think ur wrong in ur views. Sorry to say so. In our visishtaadvaita
smapradaya both Karmakanda and janakandaare considered as single Sastra and its
a must for every one of us to perform all those nitya karmas till we r here in
this world. It is said so in SRIBHASHAYAM. What i meant in my previous mail is
nowadays we r not taking care for the vedaadyana and its a pity that our
soceity which is bound to save vedas is not doing so. SAVING OF VEDAS ARE
PROTECTED ALL THEESE YEARS ONLY BY LEARNING AND OUR GENERETION IS NOT DOING
SO.nowadays who learn vedas also go to paurohityam where they can make more
money and gradually they forget the vaedas. Only a few at kanchi and else where
are good in vedasand otheres are using it only to win their bread
what a pity I dont want to hurt anybody . if any body fell so plz pardon me
dasan kaashaypah
Tatachar@xxxx wrote:I think we can look at the whole thing from a different
perspective:
Vedas have two parts: karma khanDam and jNAna khAnDam.
Karma khANDam emphasis was more on rituals for material gains, harmony, and
prosperity of the individual as well as the community and nation as a whole.
Following this guaranteed only swargam,
Indra padavi etc. and never mOxam. For liberation, one needed to advance to
jnAna khANDam portion (the Upanishads).
In a way our college degrees or any kind of vocational training serves the part
of karma khANDam. We do put in solid 15-20 years of training. Here again
greater the effort greater the potential for material reward (just like 100
yAgas etc). The means of livelihood is dicatated by our inerent attitudes
(satva-raja-tamas)and aptitudes(brahmana, xatriya etc.).
We are all equally eligible for Moxam
(the purpose of jnAna khANDam part, which we can and will naturally follow as
we mature. This can happen in one life or the other, in ine way or teh other).
Thus, the karma khADa of VedAs are temporal in style and details. Even 1000s of
years ago they had 5 ways of chanting vedAs. However the jnAna khANDam is
eternal and immutable. It is presented to us in the simplified form called
BhagavadgItA.
The truth implored here is eternal.
Sometimes we get mixed up and don't know what is more important. Thus we waste
time seeking out for darba grass or a by gone tradition or worse yet, feel
guilty for not being able to follow Vedic rituals, while that time could be
better used to excell in our profession and pursue jnAna khAnDam part of our
scriptures.

K. Sreekrishna Tatachar.

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia