You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00130 Feb 2003

Who is a Brahmin is very clearly stated in the Gita by the paramacharya:
Self-control, tranquility, uprightness, patience, purity, humility, learning,
austerity, wisdom, and faith (Chapter 18, Verse 42).

This has no race, religion or space limitation.
Wherever, whenever, whoever has the above qualities or
have greater tendency towards those qualities is a Brahmin.
This is the basic/primary truth as revealed in the Gita.
Taken this way, a person can be a brahmin as long as he or she has
inclinations as stated above-without even having heard of Vedas, Upansihads
or Gita. After all Veda means knowledge. It is like being godly without
knowing god.
This is the interpretation I am most comfortable with and makes sense to me.
Looks like we are caught up in a contextual definition which is simply out of
context.

Koti Sreekrishna Tatachar

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia