You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00143 Feb 2003

Namo Narayana!
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namah:
Srimathe Nigamantha Mahadesikaya Namah:
Dear Malolanji and all the other devotees,
Pl. accept my pranams. I have the exact same question lingering in my mind for
a long time. Why is Radha never mentioned in Bhagavatham and any Sathvika
puranas. The answer I got from ISCKON and Sri Kripalu Maharaj is that Sri Suka
Maharishi(Considered to be the parrot of Rahda in Barsana) attains samaadhi at
the very mentioning of the name "Radha". That's supposed to be the reason for
her not being included in Srimad Bhagavatham. The six goswamis following Sri
Chaithanya Mahaprabhu exclusively talk about the significance and the
importance of devotion to Srimathi Radharani. In one of the books by Gaudiya
vaishnavas, it is also mentioned that Radhakund is the topmost place for a
gaudiya vaishnava. Only one upanishad (I forgot the exact name :something like
Radhikaupanishd) mentions about her. It is widely talekd about that "Radha"
represents the Hladhini shakthi (pleasure potency) of Sri Krishna. Sri
Chaithanya Charithamritha of Krishnadas kaviraj has a lot of materials on
Radharani specially the conversation between Sri Ramananda Raya and Sri
Chaithanya. If you read the thiruppavai explanation by our poorvacharyas, I had
the opinion that Radha could be equivalent of nappinnai because Radha was
always among the Gopis performing pastimes with krishna and Thiruppavai is full
of interaction between the Gopis. I am also very ineterested in learning about
the relevance of Nappinnai in Bhagavatham or any other puranas.I asked Sri
Rangapriya swami a similar question and he replied that Radha was one of the
Gopis and he did not equate her to Krishna's potency.
Please let me know if you hear more on this subject. It is of great interest to
me as well. The previous discussion from Bhakti list on this topic is found
here
http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/may95/0031.html
Adiyen,
Dasanu Dasan