You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00150 Feb 2003

SrImate rAmAnujAya nama:

> > Is there any slokam(s) in Srimad Bhagavatam / Mahabharatam / Puranas
> mentioning Nappinnai Piraatti? North Indians seem >to be of the view that
> Nappinnai Piraatti is the imagination of the Alwars and Andal. They
> consider
> Radha to be an authentic >person. Pl. enlighten.

While there is no reference to Nappinnai Piraatti, alwars often talk of
Krishna conquering seven bulls for winning her hand. This story is
there in Srimad Bhagavatam..However, the name given there is obviously not
Nappinnai (since Nappinnai is a Tamil name) and neither is this particular
lady a Gopi.

There is reference in Srimad Bhagavatam for Krishna conquering seven bulls
in order to marry Nagnajiti (or Satya) the daughter of king Nagnajit of
Kosala (AyodhyA) ..The references are
Srimad Bhagavatam 3.3.4 , 10.58.43-48

However, this is not in Gokulam.The Alwars , I think, sing of Nappinnai
piratti as having belonged to Gokulam. I sort of remember Sri Krishna
Premi saying that this story with the appropriate settings (i.e in
Gokulam) can be found in the Mahabharata (Harivamsa) . I am not sure if I
remember whatSri Krishna Premi said very well though...

dAsan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
srirangasri-subscribe@yahoogroups.com