You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00005 Feb 2007

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest all,

Let us share the enjoyment of other two greatest
mahaans of our Srivaishnava sampradaya, praising
Acharyasaarvabhouman His Holiness Srimad Paravakkottai
Andavan Swami of Sri Poundarikapuram Andavan Ashramam.
[Translations into English by Sri Anbil Ramaswamy
Swami]

ACHARYAN NADAMAADUM DEIVAM"- Our Acharyan is a walking
God.. by Kulapathi Sri U.Ve. Navalpakkam N.S Ramanuja
Tatachariar Swami

"In the modern times when everything has turned
topsy-turvy, it is our Sukritam that we have in our
midst Sri Paravakkottai Gopala Desika Maha Desikan who
excels in Gnaanam, Anushtaanam and Viraaghyam.

When the Swami was studying in the Vyaakarana Siromani
class in the Sanskrit College at Tirupati, I had
occasion to study at a junior level. Myself and 2 or 3
of my colleagues used to learn from the Swami "Laghu
Siddhanta Kaumudi". It is hard to believe his masterly
teaching capacities. He could bring even the hardest
of concepts well within the reach of the dullest
headed by simple but effective explanations.

I vividly remember how even at that time as a
Brahmachari, Paravakkottai Swami was upright to a
fault and adopted a very high standard of personal
rectitude and Aachaaram. There was never a moment when
he was not reciting the Bhagavan Namas and one or the
other of the Stotras.

There was a long gap when we had not met. I had the
opportunity to pay my respects to this Yathivara. I am
proud to see the same simplicity, Satvik Qualities,
absolute detachment to Worldly enjoyments (Parama
Virakti), an aversion to name, fame, pomp and money,
the majestic yet mellowed delivery of Pravachanams
that endear him to everyone, - which he exhibited
right from his student days. If anything, the best in
him got better than ever! now"
"PRAPADHYE PRANAVAAKAARAM BAASHYAM"
by VaikuNtavaasi Sri U. Ve. Purisai Nadadhur
KRISHNAMACHARIAR SWAMI

In 1938, when the Swami was studying in the Siromani
class in the Sanskrit College, Tirupati, we shared the
same room and stayed together in the Ahobila Mutt.

So, I am an Eyewitness to his fastidious and
punctilious adherence to Aachaaram and Anushtaanam,
which were of a very high order and do not come by
easily for others.

I have never seen in this Mahaan from then on and till
now, any trace of Kaama, Krodha etc. It is indeed a
marvel, how he has mastered these and kept them under
perfect control.

With a imposing majestic appearance matched only by
his inimitable majestic Swabhaava, a mellifluous voice
matched only by an impressive delivery- he proved
himself an incomparable "Poorvabaashi", a
"Mithabaashi" and a "Vairaaghya Seela". In thought,
word and deed, he upholds and what is more important
actually practices, the high standards of Aachaara and
Anushtaana with a single pointed devotion.

It is amazing to see how he conducts the Saturday
Sadas every week on Sri Baashya and other Granthas in
a calm and serene atmosphere. His discourses are as
entertaining and enlivening as his comments and
elucidation are educative and revealing his mastery of
the nuances. They certainly gladdened the hearts of
the listeners and chastened their minds by removing
all doubts.

He delights in doing this purely as a Bhagavad
Kainkaryam in the true spirit of what Swami Desika
says-

"Santhoshaartham Vimsruti Muhur Adhyaathma Vidyaam"

and he performs the "Uttara Kriya" in such a way that
cannot fail to steep an onlooker without wondering.

It is such Mahaans who should be our Aachaaryas. Never
can one find any blemish to detract him from his high
code of conduct he has laid down for himself and which
he has been observing with utmost diligence and care.
In short, he is a perfect Yathivara and sets the
standard for other Sannyaasis.

At the same time, his administrative capacities are
none the less impressive. With almost no wherewithal,
he has renovated and is maintaining Swami Desikar
Sannidhi at East Uttara Street, Srirangam: he has
brought out admirable publications of Srimad Rahasya
Traya Saaram and Chillarai Rahasyams of Swami Desikan
which will be a valuable treasure for posterity.

We pray to the Divya Dampathis that this great
Mahaapurusha , Sri Parama Hamsetyaadhi Paravaakkottai
Srimad Aandavan Sri Gopaala Desika Maha Desikan Swami
should live long for hundreds of years more in perfect
health and guide us all".

****************
His Holiness is verily a walking God on earth.
Swami's glories are to be enjoyed in 1008 posts and
still we will not be able to do justice in our
immersing ourselves and be satisfied. Please make a
point to visit Ashramam, even if you are no way
connected to Sampradayam. adiyEn's one smArtha friend
[Iyer] who had heard of Swami from me and from Sri
Ananthakrishna, visited the Ashramam with his spouse
and seVicchufied Swami. Swami showered His blessings
and this person is greatly excited and joyous of his
one hour chat with His Holiness. so, pl do not miss
your life time chance to sevicchufy Swami and receive
His benign Blessings.

Swami's kalyANa guNAs are to be seen to be believed.
Sri Sudarsan Parthasarathy very beautifully shared his
anubhavams today.

Acharyan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam
regards
namo narayana