You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00055 Feb 2007

Post 30

Dear Sri vaishnava perunthagaiyeer,

In the previous 29 posts, we saw 'lakshmaNa' donning 10 roles. The 10 th role as a great warrior is continuing. When raavaNa failed to lift off lakshmaNa, who was hit by that spear [sakthi aayudham given by brahmaa to raavaNan] hanumaan could easily do that [carry lakshmaNa off so easily] and by that hanumaan proved his prowess – or is it lakshmaNa proved his greatness – to become heavy to one and light to another at the same time - by remembering he is an amsam of that great supreme lord sreeman naaraayaNan. Then raavaNa took up fight with raama and raavaNa was beaten comprehensively and asked by raama to come afresh next day – kindly recall that kamban's famous quote – 'inRu pOi naaLai vaa'.

When raavaNa was just recollecting how he was beaten by that frail 'manushyan' – simple human – raama, he was also recollecting about vedhavathi -

s apthO~ham vEdhavathyaa cha yadhaa saa Dharshithaa puraa |

sEyam seethaa mahaabhaagaa jaathaa janaka nandhinee || 6-60-9

Meaning: in olden days that vEdhavathi cursed me when I ruffled her. This seethaa, the beauty personified, and daughter of janaka, is the same vEdhavathi.

Point: recently one of the readers asked the doubt about the story of vEdhavathi. I replied that with the note added in valmikramayan web site. Now we have this slokam from yudhdha kaaNdam, in the main portion of sreemadh raamaayaNam.

Continuation: While raavaNa was thus recollecting his old curses etc, and on how easily he took that simple manushyan to leave him out of his boon's gambit [boon from brahmaa] – and covered not to have death from a dhEva, nor gandharva, kinnara, yaksha, nor others could do kill him. So, after much thinking, he asked his servants to wake his valiant brother kumbakarNa up and to be disturbed from his long sleep.

'For just 9 days back only kumbakarNa went to sleep after offering suggestions in the council of ministers. So let him be woken up' - ordered raavaNa [slokam 6-60-18]. This also gives an indication to us that the war is 9 day old.

When kumbakarna awoke he did not straight away go to the war front but met his elder brother, started giving advises to king raavaNan. In the conversation between kumbakarNan and raavaNan, kumbakarNan gave some really great advise – a high class management stuff - applicable for the present day managers and human beings – may be we can have that as thaaraka manthra for the corporate business houses also.

That slokam reads

thrayaaNaam panchaDhaa yOgam karmaNaamya: prapadhyathE |

sachivai: samayam kruthvaa sa sabhyE varthathE pathhi || 6-63-7

meaning: that person, who, with the advise of his ministers [or counsels], establishes his principles in all the three actions and five routes [or ways], then he treads the good path.

Point: perhaps you may ask what is so great is this slokam. The meaning or import or interpretation of this slokam is of such great nature – read more –

The three acts are

1.      when one self is on the upper hand or feels strong after analysisng his strengths, then he can go in war with others – or it is said as 'saama upaayam'.

2.      when he finds that the enemy is also equally strong and fit, then he must go for friendship with that enemy – bhEdha upaayam

3.      when he feels his hand is weak than the enemy, it is better to offer or give something and go for amity - dhaana upaayam

The five routes or paths or ways are – panchaDhaa yOgam –

1.      aarambha upaayam – before jumping into an action – think how to do it.

– this is what in modern management termed as "initial planning' and or 'planning well in advance"

2.      purusha dhravya sampath – checking whether we have adequate resources like men and materials to do that act

– or simply "resource planning" as the present day managers say – to look into aspects of availability and how to deploy men, materials, machines, methods, and money or simply the 5 'M's.

3.      dhEsa kaala vibhaagam – whether the action to be undertaken is suiting that specific place and the time, wherein this is to be done

– or to put it simply – planning the time duration [time management] and the place or location where such act is to take place.

4.      vinipaadhap pratheekaaram – while executing the action foreseeing some pitfalls and pain areas and thinking on corrective actions for those likely failures.

- This is what the present day managers say as the "project monitoring methods and tools" and "taking course correction steps" so that the end target is achieved within the time and location frame stated in 3 above.

5.      kaarya sidhdhi – decide on how to finish the job.

- or 'conclude' and handover the project and count on 'benefits' or profits accrued.

All the present day 'project-monitoring' aspects are very clearly and effectively said by kumbakarNan in that one slokam – that sleepy fellow.

Dear readers, See the situation in which he gives. RaavaNan is so desperate – facing failures one after the other – losing important and mighty warriors on whom he was dependent so much. At that stage – kumbakarNan comes and says this –

the situation is similar to present day corporate houses - a company losing so much – suddenly a consultant or expert comes in and start advising – hey you have not planned properly before launching this product in the market – particularly on these aspects - etc.

So dear readers, raamaayaNam is not only a story of raama and seethaa – a guide or a practial book on how to successfully live or how to successfully run business also.

Continuation: He says, 'oh king – perhaps you have not done this analysis properly before launching this war'. On such a good suggestion by kumbakarNan raavaNan scolded him saying – 'kim thvaam anusaasi' – 'are you teaching me' - and then told him to crush raama and lakshmaNa along with vaanara sainyam. So kumbakarNan entered the battlefield.

When he started causing heavy damage to vaanara army, hanumaan intervened. Hanumaan was hit on the chest and shed blood. Then Angadhan was also hit on chest and fell unconscious. Next when kumbakarna was raising his spear to hit Sugreeva, the king, hanumaan caught that weapon and broke it. Then sugreeva was hit and fell unconscious. Kumbakarnan lifted sugreeva and entered lanka. While sugreeva was being carried away in streets of lanka, sugreeva regained consciousness and hit kumbakarnan. So both came back to battlefield. Kumbakarnan caused heavy damage.

Then lakshmaNa faced kumbakarna, lakshmaNa could hit him with arrows. See slokam

thasmin kale sumithraayaa: puthra: para bala ardhana: |

chakaara lakshmaNa: krudhdhhO yudhdhham parapuranjaya: || 6-67-110

meaning: then lakshmaNa, the son of sumithraa, who eradiates the strength of enemies, fought angrily.

LakshmaNa sent 7 arrows piercing kumbakarna's body and further arrows. But kumbakarNa just brushed lakhsmana's arrows aside. Then lakshmaNa sent arrows to cover kumbakarNa's armour. See the descripion – how the air covers up the evening clouds similarly covered   - says vaalmeeki. [but that also indicates – the air could not do any thing more, than simply covering – no damage done to the cloud]

athhaasya kavacham subhram jaamboonadha mayamsubham |

prachchhaadhayaamaasa sarai: sandhyaa bhramiva maarutha: || 6-67 – 113

Kumbakarna appreciated lakshmaNa on that, saying, 'I am a winner against yama, the lord of death, but you are fighting against me, and that your dare is to be appreciated'.

He progressed fast brushing aside lakshmaNa saying, 'you are like a child, but I appreciate your valour, and I do not want to fight with you. I will meet only raama in war'. See slokam -

adhya thvayaa ~aham soumithrE baalEna api paraakramai:   |

thOshithO ganthum ichchhaami thvaam anugnaapya raaghavam || 6-67-119

lakshmaNa also replied – 'yes, it is true that you are a great warrior and I could see your valour, see raama is here'.

kumbakarna proceeded further to raama and after a good fight got killed. That description is not required here - for you all know it - lakshmaNa is the focal point in this series. As such lakshmaNa's contribution in kumbakarna vadham is less – but one thing is to be noted - both lakshmaNa and kumbakarNa the two greats appreciated each other on their valour. kaRRaarai kaRRaarE kaamuruvar says thiruk kuRal – like that a valourous person desires a good certificate from another valiant.   Next is adhikaaya vadham by lakshmaNa using brahmaasthram.

Let us continue in next post

Dhasan

Vasudevan m.g.

--