You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Feb 2009

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00039 Feb 2009

SrI:

Dear Devotee " Ramchellam" :

Here is a translation of the ThiruvAimozhi of interest to you , which is the essence of Aathma SamarpaNam based on gaining Svaroopa Jn~Anam by the Bhaddha Jeevan to become Mukta Jeevan :

yenathAvuL kalanta perunalludhavik-kaimmARu
yeantAvitantozhintEn ini meeLvatenpatuNDE
yeantAvi yaaviyum Nee pozhilEzhunDa YenthAi
yenathAvi yArr? yaanAr ? tantaNee koNDAkkinayE

ThiruvAimozhi: 2.3.4

(Meaning according to Dr.V.N.VedAntha Sesikan Swamy):

" I said " Oh Lord, Saviour of all the worlds ! You blended Yourself with my Inner Soul . The resulting experience was all bliss.It is indeed a very great favour . What is the way of my repaying my gratitude ? Yes, I shall surrender my soul to You Yourself . It is hence Yours. I will never recall it ". I then had further thought .It struck me that I did an improper  thing. Because I and my soul are His already , for a long time , how can I now surrender to Him something that has been long His ? In fact it is a sin to have thought of my soul as mine to surrender it to Him now. I am now clear on the issue. But then I have a regret . How am I to repay my debt  to the Lord for what he has done to me ?

Notes:

1) Swamy AlavanthAr echos these thoughts in His magnum opus of StOtra Ratnam;SlOkams 52-53:

http://www.sundarasimham.org ( Book 49)

2) For SaraNAgathy tattvams , please also see Book 57  on SaraNAgathy Dheepikai in the same series  .

3) PerumAl seytha " perunalludhavi" is His blending Himsef with AzhwAr's inner soul , which is His property anyway . PeruMAL's great upakAram is the blessing of Seshatva Jn~Anam and  Kalavi
with " AzhwAr's soul " , which is eternally His anyway .

4) PeriyavAcchAn PiLLai's commentary is quoted here : " SamsAra BheethiyAlE AatmAvai samarppikkayum , svaroopatthin uNmai nilai aRinta Jn~AnattAlE anusayikkayum , iraNDumE Moksham pOhum varai nadattha vENDiyathu" ( Untill the time of ascent to Sri VaikunTham by a Prapannan , it is essential to perform these two acts: (1) Aatma SamarpaNam from fear of SamsAric terror and (2) reflection on the Soul being always the Lord's Iswaryam as a result of gaining Svaroopa Jn~Anam from a clear undertanding of the Moola antram .  PerumAL blessed the AzhwAr with Seshatva Jn~Anam ( tanthu Nee KoNDAkkinayE) .

5)  " (samsAra) brAntiyil ( fear) AatmAvai samarpikkayum , pinn pacchAtApappadavum seyya vENum " Yeedu SrI Sookthi .