You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jan 2002

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00117 Jan 2002

Jan 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

respected bhagavathas,

It is a pleasure to communicate with esteemed members like sri Srirangam
Srinivasa Raghavan swamy with vedic and naalayiram background. I would
refer to my sentences :

tradition just
> because it was followed by ancestors does not mean anything. tradition has
> to be evaluated in the light of shaastras.

I would request Sri Srinivasa Raghavn swamy to kindly re consider both the
sentences of mine before making a conclusion regarding my views. Tradition
has to be evaluated in the light of shastras. This is a age old time tested
strategy suggested by all vedantic schools including Sri Shankaracharya who
stated : shastra acharya mukhena - which means - contemplate the words of
guru and compare it with the words of shastras. Matru devo bhava and pitru
devo bhava are valid vedic statements. However, I am not commenting on any
particular parents here. However, for example if sri Prahladan had listened
to his father Hiranyakasipu, it would be wrong or if vibheesanan had
listened to Ravanan, who was jyesta putran and hence equal to father, it
would be again wrong. Hence, eventhough we have to respect our parents, we
have to evaluate everything in the light of shastras.

Some mistakes are more deadly compared to others. our acharyar, HH
Azhagiasingar stated that " for a prapannan, anyadevata puja or sambandam is
"suicidal" and will obliterate his / her prapatti". I questioned HH further
and said - " Respected Acharyar - why should we say that? ; bhagavatam
states that "vaishnavanam yatha shambhuh" ( meaning Siva is foremost among
vaishnavas) and further, ahirbudhnya samhita, from which our acharyas gain
support to the concept of prapatti was given as upadesam by Ahirbudhnyan who
is Sattvic Form of Sivan to Sage Narada". Considering all these should
Sivan not be considered as a great acharyan in our system ?"

HH Azhagiasingar stated " Inspite of all these pramanams, Lord
Srimannarayanan is the ultimate God and all others are dependent. We should
not have Anya devata sambandam, since we are seshabhutas or servants of
that srimannarayan alone and not other jivas. We should not consider anya
devatas as deities since even such practices will slowly develop into major
issues in families in a couple of generations, due to fear etc. We have to
firmly believe even when faced with great dangers in life on srimannarayan
only. NOTHING should change this mahavishvasam in us. All these scriptural
support etc. you are mentioning only means that we should not disrespect
other deities or have any hatred towards them."

In practice, things may change over several generations due to traditions in
families. For example, I know a person whose grand parents had kept a
"VEL" - ( belonging to Murugan deity) along with the Saligramams in their
puja griham. This person after his grandparents passed away, due to respect
and as per parental guidance, kept on worshipping Murugan and also
celebrating the appropriate festivals for Murugan. HE has become so staunch
devotee of Murugan now, it is impossible for him to see the relative
difference between Murugan ( who is a demiGod) and Srimannarayan who is the
Ultimate Bramhan! Demi Gods are also Jivans. If this person had put some
efforts to ask Acharyas who are more knowlegeable than parents and conducted
a study of shastras like rahasysatrayasaram or srivachanabhusanam, it would
have been better for him.

All these issues matter to MUMUKSHUS and Prapannas. Sri vedanta desikar
states: Bramhanam shitikantam cha yaashcanyah devata smritah pratibuddhah na
sevante yasmat parimitam phalam. - the intelligent ones do not pray to Siva,
Bramha and other such dieties since they can only give limited fruits.

If one gives great importance to one's Moksham, I think it is best to avoid
any questionable acts or thoughts that may affect their relationship with
srimannarayan. It is not just a question of life and death but - millions
of lives and deaths!! This is so important. Even for a simple issue like
keeping our jobs, we take so much care not to do something that displeases
our company presidents or CEOs. Hence it is in our interest to keep our
relationship with srimannarayan, who is the CEO of everything. - Let me
remind people about the great mantra here - vasuranyo vibhurasi prane
tvamasi sandhatha bramhan tvamasi vishvadhrit tejo das tvamasi
gnirasi...( Mahanarayaniya - quoted in support for prapatti)

Adiyen Krishna Kashyap.