You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jan 2008

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00021 Jan 2008

Jan 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Sri Ramesh & Padmanabhan Swamis,

Thanks for your responses. Even if they refer a paavai who is equivalent to azhwar, why azhwar has to be referred here as sleeping? Kind of sleep mentioned in those pasurams and kind of references to those paavais by Shri Andal cannot be taken just like that and mapped to Azhwars. Is it not a heenOpamaanam (inferior reference)?

Paavai awakening references.

kEttE kidathiyO--Pasuram 7
un magal thaan oomaiyO, anRi chevidO, ananthalO, ema perunthuyil manthirapattaalO --Pasuram 9
kumbakarunanum thORRum unakkE perunthuyil thanthaanO--Pasuram 10
ethenna pErurakkam --Pasuram 12
naaNaathaai, naavudaiyaai --Pasuram 14
innum uRanguthiyO --Pasuram 15

Even for Poet like Valmiki or Thirumangai azhwar who were said to be doing Robbery, we forget their earlier status and dont mention anybody's robbing actions as equivalent to Valimiki and Thirumangai azhwar. Sleep is a thamO gunam and why should azhwars be referred to those deep sleeping paavais in whatever sense or angles?

Forgive me if iam wrong. Hope you understand my questions as i feel that i did not put my questions properly.

 Thanks,
Srinath

Chatari Ramesh <chatariramesh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Srinath swamin,

         adiyEn  will take a stab to clarify a  little bit.

         The beauty of Thiruppavai is such that our Acharyas have been able to come up with several layers of meanings as they look at it more and more.  One such anubhavam is where paasurams 11 thru 15 are referred to our Azhwars.  No doubt, that Kodhai pirratti is waking up each Paavai in these paasurams.  The paavai that is being waken up is compared to the Azhwar mentioned by Shri Narasimhan in his post as she is considered to have a samaadhi similar to the Azhwar in her behaviour.  Or in other words, the paavai's behaviour and attitude reminds us of the particular Azhwar's nilai.

         This  anubhavam  is  from our Acharyas and hence contradiction brought up in your question 2 does not arise.

dasan,

Ramesh