From: Srinath Venkatakrishnan [mailto:srinath_venkatakrishnan@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:05 AM
To: krupa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; SriRangaSri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [SriRangaSri] Re: Would like to know who is "napinnai nangai"?

Dear Sri Mukundan,

On your last point on Nappinnai..
Bhattar in his thaniyan "neeLa thunka sthana...., he talks about Krishna who is sleeping on top of neeLadevi; whereas Sri Andal describes the scene as Krishna sleeping on top of nappinnai in 19th pasuram and maps nappinnai with thiruvE in 20th pasuram. Why neeLadevi is mapped with thiru who is peria piraatti? And why did Bhattar sing differently? Is there any reason?Please englighten.

Thanks,
Srinath

mukrupa <krupa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
SrI:
Dear Smt.Anuradha,

1) In many Aahwar pasurams, we see a mention about 'nappinnai' or 'pinnai'
2) Yasodha had one brother called 'kumbhan' and his daughter was
'nappinnai' (so, she was the 'muRai-p-peN' for Krishna..:-) )
3) Kumbhan placed a condition that only the person who could win over
his seven bulls could marry Nappinnai, which obviously was achieved by
SrI Krishna. This incident has been mentioned in many pasurams of
azhwars.
4) AzhwAn, bhattar and Swami desikan have ascertained that this
'nappinnai' is the avatAram of 'nILA dEvi' thAyar.
5) bhattar's taniyan for thiruppavai ... 'nIla tunga stana girithaDi
..' is based on 19th pAsuram of thiruppavai : 'kuthtuviLakkeriya
kOTTukkAl kattilmel... nappinnai kongaimEl vaiththu-k-kiDantha
malarmArbA ...'
6) 'nappinai nangAi thiruvE !' is also from SrI Andal. Whatever
nILadevi is doing in Srivaikuntam was exhibited during Krishnavataram
in Her role as nappinnai, as ascertained in the above pAsuram of SrI
Andal.

Hope this helps.

dAsan
Mukundan

--- In SriRangaSri@yahoogroups.com, "anuradha_ren" <anuradha_ren@...>
wrote:

> Sri:
> SrimatE Gopaladesika MahadesikAya Namaha
>
> Dear Swamin,
> Please accept my humble pranams.
>
> Undhu madhakalitran, odhaadha thol valiyan
> Nandagopalan marumagale! Nappinnai!
>
> I would like to know who is this napinnai referred in the above pasuram.
>
> Thanking you,
> Vasaka Dosha Shandavyaha
> AzhwAr ThiruvadigaLE saraNam
> Namo narayana
> Adiyen
> Anuradha Vijayanand.

Save all your chat conversations. Find them online. __._,_.___

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
srirangasri-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list