You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jan 2008

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00103 Jan 2008

Jan 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

I am sure many of you or all may have attended a typical 'iyengar' marriage. In these marriages after the sesha homam, the newly wed couple is made to sit opposite each other on the new pattup pai [mat] and the brihaspathy swamy and few others starts reciting the vaaraNam aayiram padhikam of aaNdaaL in a specific style. During this recitation the newly weds – both the maappiLLai and maNapeNN - roll the yellow turmeric applied coconuts between themselves.

And that becomes an occasion for some fun also for the remaining relatives at the pandal. As sriman Sudarsan of Kuwait rightly observed, many guests leave the marriage hall once maangalya dhaaraNam is over and to rush to the dining hall and then immediately the marriage venue also. That is why I stress that remaining relatives.

After the vaaraNam aayiram both the sambandhi's and the clans' names are announced by brihaspathi or some elders from both sides and brihaspathi swamy says "pillaikku maamanaar - so and so - swamin seer paadik kaLimaN vaadappOme", "poNNukku naaththanaar – so and so - seer paadik kaLimaN vaadappOme" etc. So, this, in effect, is a sort of introduction of both side relatives to the newly wed - maappiLLai and maNappeN. Why all these is to give a point on that " seer paadik kaLimaN vaadappOme".

After the conclusion of the commentary on vaaraNam aayiram padhikam sri UV swamy has stated in his 'prabhandha rakshai' that - this "seer paadik kaLimaN vaadappOme" seems inappropriate

kaLimaN – the clay let it be wet or dry how does it matter

        vaadappOmE – means fading.

        So clay fading in that marriage scene seems inappropriate

perhaps it has to be " seer paadik kaLimin, seer paadap pOvOmE" meaning

        'seer' – the seermai – the way the marriage is nicely conducted

        paadik kaLimin – hey folks let us sing that grandeur and enjoy,

        paadap pOvOmE - and let us go and join that singing"

then this seems more apt and fitting.

May be it is for aaNdaaL's kalyaaNam or our kinfolk's marriage – the intention is to sing that vaaraNam aayiram padhikam and end it with ' seer paadik kaLimin, seer paadap pOvOmE'.

This particular point caught my attention when I heard 2 upanyaasams of aaNdaaL's marriage to the lord on the Sunday last, viz.13th jan 08. One was by sri paiyambadi venkata varadachar swamy the cousin brother of uthamoor swamy and second was by uthamoor swamy's son sri raagopalachar swamy. Both swamys stressed this point of UV swamy.

Why I brought out this here is – we also repeat this in our kinfolk's marriage without really understanding what this "kaLimaN vaadappOmE" mean. At least hereafter we can follow what UV swamy has said.

The brihapathi swamys in the list may please note and members can inform the brihaspathis to change in the coming marriages. I request sriman Sadagopan swamy to put this in vaidheekam list also and for the attention deevalur NVS swamy and thru him to others.

This also leads to another point – the reference to poorva aachaaryaas for any thing and every thing. If UV swamy has not thought slightly different - than his poorva aachaaryaas – then we may not have this beautiful explanation to the existing custom - which may be running for quite some time – can be even few decades.

Dhasan

--
Vasudevan MG __._,_.___