You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jan 2009

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00058 Jan 2009

Jan 2009 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest all,

It has been my long cherished desire to pay a humble tribute to our
unparalleled Acharya saarvabhouman YathirAjar, Sri Bhashyakarar, Sri
Ramanujacharya on the forthcoming 1000th year (2017). It is indeed our bhaagyam
to have this greatest Acharya sambandham in Srivaishnava lineage. What a great
Acharya! What a glorious sampradaya!

With asmadhacharyanâs blessings and Divya Dampathi Sriya Pathi Sri
RanganAyaki SamEtha Sri Ranganathaâs grace, it is adiyEn rash and daring
attempt of dedicating this series which will run for next ten years on
Yathirajaâs glories on this most auspicious Vaikunta Eakadasi day.

My intent is to cover a summary level (about one page per post) for about 100
days in a year Acharya Saarva bhoumanâs vaibhavam, glories and his nine works
for the next ten years. Though adiyEn is completely disqualified to take up
this task, at least it would give adiyEn a chance to read / enjoy these works
at a macro level and share with the younger generation.

Ramanujacharya came as "Trijagat punya phalam" (if all the good deeds of the
whole world should take a form and express itself it would be our
Ramanujacharya's form) and his teachings should benefit the whole world.
"Ramanujaarya  Divyagnya Vardhatham abhivardhatam, Dighanta Vyapini Bhuyat Sahi
Loka Hithaishini"

May Acharya saarvabhouman Yatiraja Sri Bhashyakarar bless this vELvi and ensure
the success of this kainkarya dedicating to the lotus feet of Acharya.
Raamanujaarya dhivyAgnyA vardhathAm abivardhathAm. May Raamanujacharyaâs
divine instructions grow further (to keep us on the divine track of Ramanuja
Darsanam) ever.

May I request and seek your forgiveness for my indulgence- where angels fear to
tread? This is only as a humble offering to the bhAgawatha e-Goshti.

Let us meditate at the lotus feet of our Acharyas and recite thaniyans before
proceeding with these posts for their blessings on us. adiyEn will refer to
various books, articles and will also provide due acknowledgement at the end
giving references. We are simple parrots merely repeating what is told by
Poorvars and erudite scholars.

rAmAnuja dhayApAthram jnAna vairAgya bhooshaNam |
srImath vEnkatanAthAyam vandhE vEdhAntha dhESikam ||

I worship Vedanta Desikan (Acharya or preceptor uniquely praised as such due to
his great contribution and strict adherence to Vedanthic tradition), named
Venkata nAthan, endowed with auspiciousness and glories, who was a receptacle
of the mercy (dayA) of his AchArya Sri Ramanuja, and who was adorned with the
jewels of wisdom (jnAnam) and detachment (VairAgyam).

Ramanuja here refers to Swamy Vedantha Desikan's Acharya Sri AthrEya
Ramanujacharya (also called AppuLLAr), his maternal uncle. We can also relate
this to Sri Ramanujacharya (Bhashyakarar) as well. Sure, Sri Bhashyakarar would
have blessed Sri Vedantha Desikan with his grace without which he would not
have been able to write 100 plus works all glorifying Sri Ramanujacharya
siddhAntham in an unambiguous manner. Sri UttamUr Swamy further elaborates this
padham to even Sri NammAzhwAr- as Sri NammAzhwAr is Sri SaTakOpar (pAdhukAs of
the Lord) and Sri Ramanuja is the avatar of Adhi sEshan. It is Adhi Seshan who
takes various forms to perform eternal kaimkaryam to the Lord.. (senRaal
kudaiyaam; irundhaal singaasanamaam; ninRaal THIRUVADIYAAM- When He walks, Adhi
sEshan takes the form of umbrella; While sitting, he becomes the throne (for
the Lord to sit on); and while He stands, Adhi sEshan transforms himself into
the PAdhukAs.

So, Ramanuja dayA pAthram means: SatakOpa dayA pAthram too. Vedantha Desikan is
also the recipient of Ramanuja's grace (Rama + anuja- Rama's younger brother-
KaNNan- Balarama's brother) for it is he who composed the marvelous
Yadhavaabhudhayam and the great divine Gopala vimsathy.

Another lateral thought: Rama- meaning Lakshmi. One who is after Lakshmi is
AndAL (BhUmi PiraaTTi) or all AzhwArs including VishvaksEnar too. Thus,
Raamaanuja dayA pAthram refers to Their blessings as well.

There is also another thaniyan which is recited :(by the sishyas of
thennAcharya sampradayam):

Sri SailEsa dayA pAthram dhI bhakthyAdhi guNArNavam |
yathIndhra pravaNam vandhE ramya jAmAthram munim ||

I salute Sri ManavaaLa MaamunigaL, who has the blessings of
Thiruvaaimozhippillai (ManavaaLa MaamuniÂÂs Aachaarya- Sri SailEsar) and who
is an ocean of jnAnam (knowledge) and Bhakthi (devotion).

It is known to one and all that the above thaniyan was submitted to the feet of
Sri Manavala mamunigal by none other than Lord Sri Ranganatha. Namperumal
wanted to hear tiruvoimozhi kalakshepam from Sri Manavala mamunigal. He
conducted kaalakshepam of Thiruvaaym6ozhi starting on the paritaapi year 31st
day of avani sukla chaturdasi friday. It continued for 1 year and the
sARRumuRai was on aani moolam. For this one year all the utsavams of namperumal
were stopped. During the sARRumuRai, namperumal appeared as a 5 year old
archaka boy and recited this sloka in praise of Sri Manavala mamunigal.

LakshmI nAtha samArambhAm nAtha yAmuna madhyamAm |
asmadhAchArya paryanthAm vandhE guruparam parAm ||

I worship the entire guruparamparaa that starts with Emperumaan, Sriya:
Pathi Sriman Narayanan; which has SrI NAthamuni (in between) upto my AchArya
(Sri Ramanuja).

More on this in next post.
Bhashyakaarar ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards