You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jan 2009

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00126 Jan 2009

Jan 2009 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest all,

LakshmI nAtha samArambhAm nAtha yAmuna madhyamAm |
asmadhAchArya paryanthAm vandhE guruparam parAm ||

I worship the entire guruparamparaa that starts with Emperumaan, Sriya:
Pathi Sriman Narayanan; which has SrI NAthamuni (in between) upto my AchArya
(Sri Ramanuja).

This thaniyan is composed by Sri KooratthAzhwAn (Sri Ramanujacharya¡¦s most
ardent disciple); This Thaniyan describes the paramapara of our Acharyas which
starts with Sriman Narayanan. Sri AzhwAn pays his obeisance to the paramapara
upto his Acharya. He does not mention the name of his Acharya (upto my Acharya
- asmadhAchArya paryanthAm .. It fits in so well for every one of us when we
recite this upto my Acharyan, I pay my obeisance to the Gurupamarapara: AzhwAn
is known for his intellect and scholarship.

For the novices: (let me list the Guruparamapa upto Sri Ramanuja..

Sriman Narayanan
Sri Mahalakshmi
Sri Vishvaksenar
Sri NammAzhwAr
Sri NAthamuni
Sri UyyakkoNdaar (Sri PundareekAkshar)
Sri MaNakkaal nambhi (Sri Ramamisrar)
Sri Alavandhar (Sri Yamunacharya)
Sri Periya Nambhi (Sri MahapoorNar)
Sri RAMANUJACHARYA

The word Guru (Gu + ru) means one who removes ignorance (agnjAnam) of spiritual
knowledge. In Prapanna pArijAtham by SrI NadAdhoor AmmAL Guru is described very
beautifully:

A great Guru should be sought after by a person (disciple), immersed in
samsaaric afflictions; who is afraid of the transitory life; the sorrows due to
internal and external factors (AdhyAthmikam- soul dependent;
Adhiboudhikam- extermal world dependednt; and Adhideivikam- pertaining to
Supreme Lord). That Guru will teach and initiate the disciple with the
necessary manthrAs and impart jnAnam.

This Guru is the Supreme Highest; he is verily Brahman (Lord); He is the
highest of highs; He is the highest desire; He is the Highest God Himself.
Guru is the Ultimate wealth; Guru is the knowledge; Guru is our treasure;
Guru himself is means; Guru is the end. He needs to be worshipped at all
times, under all circumstances; His name shall always be uttered by the
disciple at all times.

gururEva parambrahma gururEva param dhanam;
gururEva paraa vidyA gururEva parAyaNam;
gururEva para: kAma: gururEva parAgathi:
tasmAth sathupadEshTasou thasmAth guruthamO guru:
(48 Chapter 4- Guru paddhathi)

It may please be noted that though there are two sects (namely Vadakalai and
thenkalai) in srivaishnavam, they both follow strictly AchArya YathirAjar-
Bhagavath Ramanuja - Srivaishnava sampradayam in all respects with fullest
sincerity and are only different on very few subtle issues.

Let us begin our journey through our acharya parampara, wonderful life and
glories of Yathiraja, and his unparalleled works at a high level with a view to
understanding why our Srivaishnava sampradaya is parama vaidika and is in full
compliance with vedantha saastras.

Acharyan ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo narayana