You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jan 2009

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00195 Jan 2009

Jan 2009 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dextral not Sinistral

She is on His right. Her feet is in His left hand. His right arm is
around Her waist as He embraces her closely. So closely that they are
cheek by jowl!  It is said that She was still trembling after being
rescued from the ogre who kidnapped Her and hid Her deep in the sludge
beneath the oceans. To comfort Her, He held Her very tightly. She is
seated high on His right thigh. His right foot is on the many hoods of
the King of Serpents. His left foot is firmly on terra firma, Bhoomi.
His face is handsome and serene and His eye, left eye, is full of
kindness and grace. How else can it be when She is so close! She has a
slight smile on Her rosy lips as if She is happy to have been rescued
by Her Valiant Husband. She is higher than Him and is bent towards Him
as if sharing some secrets with Him. Who are we, mere dusts in this
huge creation of Theirs, to even think about those secrets?
His tusk is not the huge one we are wont to see elsewhere. It is but a
fraction of the huge golden scimitar like tusk we see in
Thiruedaventhai some kilometers to the north.  It is small and white
and adds to the "lavanya" of this Maha Pothrin. His left eye is clear
and not huge (sphuta padma lochanah) as He appears to be looking
directly at us. His snout is in perfect propotion to the face and
wonders of wonders He is green in colour. A very soothing green in
glorious constrast to the fair burden He carries. This
Bhoomidevi-Varaha is in "varna kalapa" that is the Divine Couple are
coloured. Why green? Surely the boars which we happen to see, mostly
on the television channels, are grey in colour. The answer is, as
usual provided by that peerless daughter of Vishnuchitta, Godha Devi.
She says that after being hidden in the submarine mire by the uncle of
Prahalada, Mother Earth became infested with green growths, algae,
liverworts,moss etc.etc. and  was green in colour. Our preceptors say,
tounge strictly in cheek, that when a wife is dirty and soiled after
the day's work the husband must be careful not to appear before her in
all his finery. If he has any sense of proportion he must look untidy
too. After all Varaha is Purushottamma, the best among males, and He
understands the female psyche well. So when He jumped into the bog to
recue Her He was careful to appear as green as She was.
He is called Adi Varahaswamy and Gnana Piran and His "divya mangala
vigraha" sacred frame, has been carved from the rock of the hillock
near the base of the Lighthouse at Mahabalipuram or Mamallapuram. The
archaka informed us that the original colours and artistry were far
more beautiful than the present ones. But to us This Bhoomidevi-Varaha
is the most handsome Couple we have been fortunate enough to worship.
Teeming millions make a beeline to eye the sculptures hewn from the
nearby rocks. Very very few visit Thiruvallaventhai where this
gloriously coloured Divya Dampathi are waiting to bestow grace on all
comers. This small ill lit sanctum is about half a kilometer away from
the legendary Sthala Sayana Perumal temple. Except for an hour in the
morning between 9am and 10am, it remains closed. Some devotees, and
they are rare even among Vaishnavas, who specifically ask for this
temple at the Sthala Sayana Perumal temple are led here, and granted
darshan. The archaka who looks after this temple is indigent and
thankfully welcomes contributions. Naivedhyam has to come from Sthala
Sayana Perumal temple. Truly we live in the dark age of Kali. If this
is the condition in five thousand years of Kali, the mind boggles to
contemplate on the situation millenia hence.
The Divine Couple are gracing us by the light of "deepa aradhana" as
there is no electricty. Except for the ruling classes the whole state
is in perpetual state of power cut. The kind archaka painstakingly
shows us the various sculptures on the walls outside the "Garbha
griha". Chandrasekhara is seen on the right and Brahma on the left. A
king is seated with his wife for perpetuity in stone. To our right is
a wall which we are informed is the closed opening of a tunnel that
leads to the Nithyakalyana Perumal temple in Thiruedaventhai. This
temple is as old as that and was the original place, "vendathal
sthalam" where those desirous of marriage used to come and beseech the
Divine Couple. Even temples of our Lord in this Lila Vibhoothi are not
exempt from the ravages of time!
As the main Deity, "moola vigraha" is coloured, ritual embrocation,
"thirumanjanam" is out of question. That is done to a smaller icon
called Kahuta bera. The utsavar, processional deity, with Sri and
Bhooma devi is made of metal and is of the four armed human frame and
not Varaha moorthy. He is as usual "manmatha manmatha" more personable
than the God of love.
In our tradition Piratti, Supreme Mother, is the main mediatrix who
enables the erring "jivathma" soul, to attain the Parmathma. She
forces Him to overlook the innumerable transgressions of the soul and
grant liberation. She graces us with the proper attitude and knowledge
to be eligible to attain Him. She, unlike Him, is totally oblivious to
the sins we have accumulated over repeated cycles of rebirths. It
behoves us to approach Her and once we do that we will be well on our
way to emancipation. To highlight this concept, Varaha is holding up
the feet of His Consort, as if to say "...pray here and you will reach
Me." We request the archaka to once again expose to us the covered
feet of Piratti in His left hand.
All experiences in this domain are finite, alas ! We are herded out of
the sanctum of Gnana Piran, in Thiruvallaventhai, into the brilliant
light of the mid-day sun in Mamallapuram.
Truly now we understand what Nammazhwar meant when he said about Gnana
Piran, Varaha Perumal, "...naan kanda nalluthu..." the goodness that I
witnessed.

Dr.S.Sundar Rajan MS ortho
Trichy

<*> Your email settings: