You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jul 2008

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00144 Jul 2008

Jul 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

There was a question recently about the appropriateness

of  performing Thirumanjanams at Home or Temples

at Night . A learned friend of mine sent me the reply

which I would like to share with you all.

DaasOham , V.Sadagopan

Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

I read your mail in Srirangasri on the above topic.

Performing Thirumanjanam to Archa Moorthy's in the evenings or nights does not appear to be forbidden, going by the practices prevalent as listed below:

1. In Kanchipuram Devarajaswamy Sannidhi, on Mahanavami day (rather night) a full scale Lokaantha thirumanjanam is performed. I have witnessed one such Thirumanjanam too. It happens late in the night, if it falls on a Purattasi Sravanam day after Thooppul Desikan Archa murthy left the temple on conclusion of Mangalasaasanam.

2. On Pavithrotsava Poornahuthi day, thirumanjanam is performed to archa moorthys in the night after Poornahuthi and then only the Kumbha theertham is sprinkled on the Archa Moorthies.

3. Again in Kanchi Devarajaswamy sannidhi, Vasanthotsava Theerthavari for Chakrathhazvar is done in the night at Anantha saras Pushkarani after the return of Kudhirai Vahana purappadu.

Perhaps similar unique instances might be happening in some of the Divya Desams too. From the above, it appears performing Thirumanjanam in the night does not appear to be forbidden.

dasan

Tirumanjanam for Thayar on Friday's evening -clarification sought

Srimathey iramanujaya Namaha:

Swamin:

Can we perform Tirumanjanam for Thayar on Friday's evening ?

Is it allowed in sastharam to perform tirumanjanam after sunset?

I want your opinion/suggestion/ advice about this practice. Is it
performed in any other divya desam in India? Also is it performed in
any temple in USA? If so, where in India/USA? is there any veda
document where it says that we can perform tirumanjanam in the evenings?

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
srirangasri-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list