You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jun 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00003 Jun 2004

Jun 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear srivaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

Sri N.S.Rajagopalan swamy from USA asked me, the reference of a krithi by Sri
ooththukkaadu venkata subbu iyer starting "dhyaanamE parama paavanamE". He
wrote in a private mail that he heard this krithi long time back and would like
me to link to some verse in naalaayira dhivya prabhandham, if available, and
explain one particular line.

Since the lyrics of this krithi deals with "guru dhyaanam" / guru vandhanam -
linking with the great aachaarya - sri krishNa - I thought it is prudent to
enjoy sharing that krithi with all of you, its links as I could refer to
naalaayira dhivya prabhandham, and few comments.

First - the krithi: dhyaanamE parama in full with meaning -

raagam: rasa manjari            thaaLam: aadhi thaaLam
composer - ooththukkadu venkata subbu iyer [OVS]

pallavi:

dhyaanamE parama paavanamE thaghum enRa jnaanam
kanivodum thandhu thaanaagi ninRa guru padha malar adigaLin - dhyaanamE

meaning: meditation is the supreme purifier. That only suits as wisdom. That
guru with all grace gave such wisdom to me and he stood in me as that wisdom.
Meditate on such a guru's feet.

anupallavi:

gaanamE kaNNaa kaNNaa enRa
gaanamE hari naamamE
gaanamE kaivalyamE tharum
gathi unakku enRu nidhi enakku inRu
thudhi aruL thandha guru padha malar adigaLin - dhyaanamE

meaning: "sing that name krishNa krishNa as a song, that song with the hari's
name, that song itself will give the detachment leading to liberation [freedom
or mOksham]. Hari is the route. That is the way. That is the asylum. That is
the wealth. Do meditate on that". The guru gives such a wealth to me, that
sthuthi and grace - do meditation on that guru's feet.

charanam 1:

onbadhu vaasalaam kOttai
idharkku uththaman pOttaan raaja baattai
munbu irundhaar seidha avakkEttai pOkki
moovulagam ettumaaRu paadinaan oru paattai - dhyaanamE

meaning: this fort [called my body] has 9 doors or gateways. In this fort and
to this fort that best person [purushOththaman - krishNa] laid a royal path.
The persons who resided earlier in this fort did a lot of damage. That damage
was removed by the guru and gave a song to raise me up so that all three worlds
- such a song the guru gave - meditate on his feet.

charaNam 2: (madhyama kaalam)

anbu kalandhida azhagu thulangidum
aayiram thooNaal aanadu koodam
aadiyum paadiyum hari guNa maNandha
adiyvarkku ena thiRandha kavaadam
indhriyam ennum anju padi Eri
chinthai enum simhaasanam pODum
en aiyyan vandu amaruvaan paarum
iNai yEdhu kooRum guru padha malar adigaLin - dhyaanamE

meaning: the drama hall [called or named my heart] has 1000 pillars. In this
hall when it is mixed with love the beauty shines. You dance, sing hari's name
in that. Once done, then for such a devotee the doors are open. Climb the five
steps called indhriyams - the sense organs. Then you reach the royal or lion's
throne called mind or intellect. That supreme lord - my father krishNa will
come and get seated there in that mind seat. What is equal to this - please
tell me - that is the way - the guru tells so - meditate on such a guru's feet.

Second - meaning for certain words used in the krithi:
dhyaanam - meditation
parama paavanam - supremely purifying or cleansing
kaivalyam - detachment from all other connections leading to supreme eternal
happiness.
thagum - deserving

jnaanam - wisdom
kanivOdu - with grace
gathi - one meaning is route - another one is asylum, refuge
nidhi - wealth or treasure

thudhi - praise [if considered as verb] or eulogising
thudhi - sthOthram or a hymn [if considered as noun]
gaanam - song - as noun
onbadhu vaasalaam kOttai(kku) - the human body is designated as a fort, which
has 9 doors or entrances or holes - 2 eyes, 2 ears, 2 nose holes, 1 mouth, one
urinating hole, one anus hole - so the human body is said as a nine holed fort.

uththaman - purusha uththaman - sri krishNan - kaNNan for OVS
baattai - vazhi - thadam - road - route
raaja baattai - royal road
avakkEdu - poor condition

moovulagam - 3 lOkams - dhEva lOkam, bhoomi and paathaala lOkam
thulangidum - shine
1000 thooNaal aanadhu koodam - the heart which has a lot of tiny tubes and
nerves covered with skin - that is considered as the koodam - the drama stage -
naataka arangam

guNa maNandha - wedded to the characteristics
[can be / may be guNam anantha - endless characteristics also - wrongly printed
in book as N in stead of n? Can not say]
anju - five [as noun] - also mean be afraid of [as verb]
kavaadam - door
indhriyam - senses or sense organs like eyes, nose, ears, mouth, and skin
iNai Edhu - if compared what is equal to this

Third - comments or points with comparable links in 4000 dhivya prabhandham:
Pallavi:
dhyaanamE parama paavanamE thaghum enRa jnaanam
kanivodum thandhu thaanaagi ninRa guru padha malar adigaLin - dhyaanamE

Dear bhakthaas, we all know that "kaNNi nun chiruththaambu" - the 10 verses of
sri madhura kavigal - is the guru dhyaanam only. Here OVS says dhyaanam on
guru's feet is parama paavanam. Aazhvaar says "un than moi kazhaRku anbu" - in
verse 10. anbu - love - devotion - when it develops greatly that love itself
becomes the object of devotion - or that love transforms as dhyaanam -
meditation any doubts? Do love krishNa and then find for yourself.

How aazhvaar expresses that anbu - love or devotion - says "I sang or said
repeatedly and got that immense pleasure - naavinaal naviRRu inbam eidhinEn,
mEvinEn avan ponnadi" - 2nd verse - here OVS - guru padha malar adi dhyaanam oh
what a nearness.

Also just not stopped singing in his house alone - paavin innisai paadith
thirivanE  -2nd verse - I will wander over all places to sing the glory of the
guru's feet - moi kazhaRku anbai paadith thirivan. Why to wander - for he did
one good thing - vEdhaththin utporuL niRkap paadi en nenjuL niRuththinaan - 9th
verse.

OVS says jnaanam kanivodu thandhu thaanaagi ninRaan - what is vEdham - that
krishNa's breath. What is that jnanam - krishNa is the jagathguru - to reach
him here is my guru - krishNa came in the form of my guru to show himself - how
he taught - through that vEdham - first he transformed himself as vEdham and
then came in this form - thaan aagi ninRaan of OVS. "nirkap paadi en nenjuL
niruththinaan" of aazhvaar.  vEdham is thaanaagi ninRavan pugazh - ninRavan
kaNNan - that jnaanam through guru - that guru's feet - moi kazhal - iNai
adigaL - adhan dhyaanam parama paavanam.

Oh great lines - both.

Dhaasan

Vasudevan m.g.

Since the length of the post gets extended I will cover the points on
anupallavi charanam in next post. SwamingaaL - you have to pardon me for giving
a break here.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/VkWolB/TM