You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jun 2004

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00039 Jun 2004

Jun 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear SrIMan Prsad Nair:

Your selection is an excellent one and that of SrIman KrishNaswamy
and SrIman Sudarshan from TaittirIya Upanishad

At the first pass , I did not get the context from
SrIman Narendran's mail .

Here are some more appropriate pasages .
Even if the occasion has come and gone , we can use it
always for "convocations" and "graduations" and our own
reflections :

The first Manthram of IsAvAsyOpanishad:

Isaa vAsyam idham Sarvam yathkimccha jagathyAm Jagath
tEna thyakthEna buunhITA maagrudha: kasyasvith-dhanam

" All this whatsoever is changable in this world is
pervaded by the Lord. Enjoy with a sense of detatchment.
Do not covet anybody's wealth ".

Above is Dr.N.S.AnantharangAchArya Swamy's translation .

" idham sarvam " denotes all sentient and insentient other than
the Lord ( Supreme Being ).The indwellership of the Lord in
all created beings and things is alluded to here .This manthram
teaches the aspirant a life of dispassion , while going about
observing prescribed  duties and required obligations .

The 18th Manthram of IsAvAsyOpanishad is again another
moving prayer adressed to Agni ( the Supreme Lord having
Agni as His body ):

AgnE naya supaTA raayE asmAn
visvAni dEva vayunAni vidhvAn
yuyOdhyasmajjuhurANAmEnO
bhUyishtAm tE nama ukthim vidhEma

(Meaning): " OAgni ( the Supreme who has Agni
as His body ) lead us through an auspicious path to
wealth. O God , Thou who art the knower of all
knowledge , releive us from the crooked sins . We offer
Thee many words of salutation with the word "nama: " .

Above is Dr.NSA Swamy'ds translation .

Here the prayer is to attainment of riches (wealth)
" useful for maintenance of the body for the sake of
knowledge and divine service" . Service to fellow beings
could also be  included. The word "Nama: " refers to
self-surrender at the feet of the Supreme Being (SaraNAgathy).

Prayer for wealth of the right kind to carry on
the service to fellow human brings and the Lord is
very common in the VedAs:

ithO vaa sathimeemahE divO vaa PaarTivAdhadhi
Indhram mahO va: rajasa:
--Rg Vedam: I.6.10

(Meaning ): " We invoke the resplendent Lord , whether
He comes from this earthly region , or from the heaven above or
from the vast firmament , that He may give us wealth ".

This is Vedic Materialism which on practise
elevates one to higher and higher levels of
spiritualism and mysticism.

The message of the  VedAs goes beyond the narrow
confines of a group or a nation . The Yajur Veda Manthram
addresses the expectaions and longings of a nation and
considered as " the best (inter) national anthems "
( Yajur Veda: XXII.22):

The key passages here are:

" Oh Supreme Lord ! May there be born in the nation,
the learned scholars illustrious for their sacred knowledge ,
---heroic , skilled warriors, ---illustious ladies , --
May we have timely rain according to our needs and desires ;
--May acquisiton (yOga) and preservation (KshEma) of
property be secured to us ".

The other Veda Manthrams for reflection are:

Bhadhram karNEbhi: sruNuyAma
dEvA bhadhram  pasyEma akshibhir-yajathrA:
--Rig Vedam: I.89.8

Oh Lord and leaned scholars ! Let us hear with our ears
what is bhadhra( good and auspicious) ; let us see with our
eyes what is good and benovolent .

The Vedic ethics (virtues ) are Sathyam ( truth) ,
nonviolence (ahimsa) , austerity ( tapas) , dhama (self-control) ,
Sama ( Tranquility) , SvAdhyAya-pravachana ( study and teaching ) ,
Rutha ( right and real, religious rite ) , sraddhA ( capability to accept
and adopt sathyam for life),  brotherhood (universal friendship)
and wisdom (mEdha) .

VedAs have inspired great ones from time immemorial
in a spirit of study and learning to develop "positive sciences"
and made this world a worthwhile place to live with vigor
and purposefulness serving fellow human beings and all of
Lord's creations .

NamO Veda PurushAya ,
V.Sadagopan