You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Jun 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00079 Jun 2006

Jun 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Post 3

Dear srivaishNava perunthagaiyeer,
We saw the krithi ramaa ramaNa in raagam vasantha bhairavi ? linked
to seethaa's agni pravesam - krithi in full with word to word
meaning, points on raagam selection, pallavi and anupallavi in
previous two posts. We now take up charaNam 1.

Sree raama said `how can I accept the wife, who was in another
person's house, that too I, being born in a great ? vamsam ? lineage,
kulam - clan?'
?       we saw that ka: pumaan slokam
?       this is further reinforced by another slokam

prakhyaathasya aathma vamsasya nyangam cha parimaarjathaa mayaa ? 6-
118-16 [part]

meaning: I removed the blemish [created by you] of the great and
famous lineage of mine

filled'. See ST lines.

charaNam 1
sari neeku evaru dhorakani garvamu adhiyugaaka
dharalO janula marmamu erigi nammu konalEraNTi
dharmaadi mOksha varamulosangi bhakthavarula
gaachina keerthi viNTi mari mari nannindharilO
cheyi baTTi brOva saraNu jochithinayya
dhari neevanu konnaanu charaNamE gathiyaNTi ? [ramaa]

meaning: You are vanity filled that no one equal to You can be found.
Further I heard about your fame in protecting the blessed devotees by
conferring on them that kind of boons - as a result
·       of the objects of human pursuit - puruSArtha
·       of righteous conduct (dharma) etc
·       also emancipation,
which people in the Earth could not believe by simply knowing the
secrets (of saasthras);
O Lord, again and again, I also sought your refuge, by asking you to
protect me, by holding my hand, in front of these people [to make
them come to terms]. I am convinced that you are my shelter. And I
also considered that only your feet is my refuge.

Point 1: Just look back a little why seethaa says to raama `you are
vanity filled'. Is it because she is also of similar great kulam so
that she can say ? `hey, if so what? I am also born in great kulam'.
Raama said -
ka: pumaan hi kulE jaatha: sthriyam para gruha ushithaam
thEjasvi puna: aadhadhyaath suhrudh lEkhEna chEtasaa || 6-118- 19
meaning:  already given in previous post.

Seetha replies  --
apadhEsena janakaath na uthpaththi: vasudhaa thalaath |
mama vruththam cha vruththajna bahu thE na puraskrutham || 6-119- 16

meaning: to janaka I am not born but from mother earth. You know my
history. Since you are angry, you are not according the dignity it
deserves.

Comment: So seethaa makes fun of that ? hey raama, you, who claims -
kulE jaatha: - you are `born' in a super clan ? kulam, but I
am `ayOnijaa' ? not born to janaka, who is also of good kulam ? but
to mother earth - I am not born in a womb, not at all in the womb of
any `kula sthree' ? good race or clan women's womb ? I am ayOnijaa -
who is better? a good `kulam' born man or one who is an ayOnijaa ?
hey raama, please do not have that pride ? vanity.

Point 2. When raama claims in a big way --
nirguNam bhraatharam thyakthvaa yO maam svayam upasthitha: |
vibheeshaNasya bhakthasya saphala: adhya parisrama: ||  6-118- 9

meaning: that vibheeshaNa, who had great bhakthi in me, and who has
abandoned his character?less brother, and who reached me, his efforts
and bhakthi became fruitful.

Seethaa simply says `yes, I heard this, you are that way famous to
grant such boons to your bhakthaas'- dharmaadi mOksha varamulosangi
bhakthavarula gaachina keerthi viNTi.

Point 3: What ST puts next in a positive way as seethaa pleading to
raama again and again - by holding my hand, in front of these people,
please protect me, I surrender to you, I am convinced you are my
shelter' etc - vaalmeeki puts the same in the other way ? [is it
negative way?] ? as seethaa blaming raama -

na pramaaNee krutha: paaNir baalyE baalena peeDitha:
mama bhakthischa seelam cha sarvam thE prushT(h)atha: krutham || 6-
119- 16

meaning: [hey raama,] you are not recognizing the hand [of this young
girl] you took as an young man. You discard my bhakthi, my
straightforward character, and all.

But adds half a slokam ? whatever said, hey raama- `mE hrudhayam
thvayi varthathE' 6-119-10 ? my heart is with you ? that is all I can
say, it is left to you to protect me.

If charaNam 2 is also taken up now, then the post length will become
unwieldy. So let us continue that in next post.
Dhasan

Vasudevan m.g.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/VkWolB/TM