You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Mar 2001

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00017 Mar 2001

Mar 2001 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Sri Narender Reddy,

I welcome your questions and enquiries. I request scholars to correct my
postings on this matter. Sri Narender, if you wish we may carry this
discussion in another list, so that the main purpose of Sri Ranga Sri as a
journal is not put at stake.

I have answered your queries point to point:

You wrote:
>Thanks for your reply in defense of the use of January first as the New
Year. Use of 2001 AD is certainly Christian. Do you >mean to say that the
use of 2001 is not Christian? If we are tru Hindus or Vaishnavas then we
would have adopted a Hindu >based calender. We could have used the Kaliyuga
calender year 5101-5102. Kaliyuga started when Lord Krishna >disappeared for
Vaikunta. Lord Krishna lived 120 years on the earth. We could have used
5102+120 = 5122 as our year. >No, our relegious leaders and the so called
Sri Vaishnavas are proudly using Christian calender and are greeting one
another >on the midnight of January first each year. Do you mean to say that
2001 AD does not refer to Christian calender? What >surprises me is that
Srivaishnavas who are supposed to be lead the society in the right direction
are ignoring the >Hindu/Vaishnava thought and embrassing with enthusiasm the
ways of Christian culture. Moreover, they are defending such >deviations.
Starting from the next few generations (in India or elsewhere) will not even
know that there is a Hindu calender >going back to 1.95 billion years, or
even will not know that our calender goes back to atleast 5102 years

Ok, let's get one thing straight. I mentioned that using the calendar of 365
Days, which we use at present is not at all the christian calendar. You
still are of the opinion that using January/april/august is christian. Well,
it is clearly not.

Then again, you mention that use of the year 2001 AD is christian. Well to
be frank with you, the years what we use now follow christian chronology.
Here it is only *we* normal people who use the western calendar. If you go
to some Middle Easter country like Saudi Arabia or United Arab Emirates, you
will find the mohammedan date next to the western date. Similarly, you will
find the panchangam date on most Indian Newspapers, the hindu for example.

Our acharyas are so kind and so understanding that they make us understand
the sampradayam in our own language and our own level of understanding. We
may be comfortable with using the western calendar, hence our acharyas
translate the meanings of the panchagam into western format especially for
our sake. Now tell me, if you only understand telugu and wanted to study
Bodhayana Sulabhasutras or Kathasaritsaagaram which are all in sanskrit,
would you not refer and english translation of those or would you not
approach an teacher who is ready to teach them in telugu??

Now it is clear that we are at fault not our acharyas!!!

And About your thoughts on our acharyas not accepting questions:

Well, my dear friend, you seem to have not explored the realm of
guru-upadesham or have not experienced kaalakshepam methods. As a matter of
fact, I have experienced the same.

Before I go further, please ask your self these questions:

1.)Have you attended formal learning sessions under acharyas
(kaalakshepam)??
2.)Have you attended Tele-Upanyaasams conducted by acharyas for the sake of
great bhagavataas in US/Singapore/All around the world??
3.)Have you ever approached an acharya for sake of asking questions which
trouble your mind???

How is that you make such a blank statement on our acharyas??? They answer
me even before I can ask them my question. This is beacuse they know what i
am going to ask, even before I ask the questions. This is beacause they are
geniuses.
I cannot accept your statements on acharyas. Please learn under a feet of an
acharyas by removing any "holier than thou" attitude.

Sri Narender, you have a rare god given gift of asking excellent questions,
i suggest you not to let go of this great talent. Approach an acharya with
great humility, learn tarka shaastras/vedas from your acharya.

>From your postings, i could make out that you may have not read the links on
hindu mathematics which i provided. I highly suggest you to do the same.

Thanks and Regards,

Adiyen Ramanuja Daasan,

Malolan Cadambi
Iowa State University.