You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Mar 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00002 Mar 2003

Mar 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

 sAlagrama-s - Number that can be worshipped.

Recently I saw a question posed on the above, either in this list or
in one of the sister-lists. This is the information I have been able
to gather on the topic.

sAlagrAma can be worshipped either as a single mUrti, or or as even
numbers starting with 4. Two is not recommended. However, SrI M. S.
Krishnamachari, in his boom titled "sAlagrAma SilOtpatti
vimarSanam", comments that because it is difficult to
get "authentic" sAlagrAma mUrti-s, elders permit the worship of any
number without hesitation.

In SrI ra'nganAtha pAdukA Issue of April, 1988, in an article by atti
narasimhAcArya svAmi, it is stated that worship of two or three
sAlagrAma-s is not allowed.

Supports available regarding the number that can be worshipped:

1. (SAlagrAma kOSa vol. 1, p. 18, published by Kalpatharu Research
Academy, and quoted from SAlagrAma SilA lakshaNa paddhati):

SAlagrAmAh samAh pUjyAh sameshu dvitIyam na hi |
a-samA naiva pUjyante ekah pUjyatamo matah |

"An even number of SAlagrAma-s must be worshipped, but they must not
only be two. An odd number of them is never worshipped, but one only
is regarded as best".

Another version given is:

SAlagrAmAh samAh pUjyAh vishamA na kadAcana |
vishamam tveka eva syAt same dve na kadAcana ||

A third version: p. 171 of SAlagrAma koSa:

sAligrAmAh samAh pUjyAs-sameshu dvitIyam na hi |
vishamA naiva pUjyAstu vishameshveka eva hi ||

"An even number of sAligrAma-s must be wroshipped, except when there
are only two, and an odd number of sAligrAma-s must never be
worshipped uless it is only one".

gRhe li'nga-dvayam nArcyam SaligrAma-dvayam tathA |
dve cakre dvArakAyAstu nArcyam sUrya-dvayam tathA ||

"In a house, two li'nga-s or two SaligrAma-s must not be worshipped,
nor should two dvArakA SilA-s or two sun-stones should be worshipped".

Based on the above references, it seems that the scriptures declare
that worshipping two sAlagrAma-s is not recommended, and worshipping
odd numbers other than one is not recommended.

It is well-known to those who have delved into the study of sAlagrAma-
s, that it is very difficult to categorically say if a given
sAlagrAma stone is an authentic sAlagrama or not. This is because
there is a substantial amount of profit-making in this area, and
there are those who choose soft-looking pebbles, and drill holes in
them, or inscribe cakra-s in them, and then sell them. SrI M. S.
Krishnamachari, in his book titled "sAlagrAma Silotpatti vimarSanam",
comments (p. 12) that because of this difficulty in getting genuine
sAlagrAma mUrti-s, elders permit worshipping any number of mUrti-s
that we have come to be blessed with, irrespective of the number.

Another practical advice is given in by MelpAkkam SrI narasimhAcArya
svAmi in the book titled "kELvi ? badil" (Questions and Answers),
published by SrI nRsimha priyA Trsut (1996). The following is a
summary of the information in page 15:

"If one happens to end up with a number forbidden by the
above rules, for example, if one has two sAlagrAma-s in the house,
then the two mUrti-s can be kept separated, and ArAdhanam performed
for one of the mUrti-s, followed by separate ArAdhanam for the second
mUrti, or even just naivedyam only for the second mUrti after
performing ArAdhanam for the primary mUrti. This can be continued
until such time as additional mUrti-s are obtained".

The above rule can easily be extended to any number of odd number of
sAlagrAma-s: In other words, if one has 2n+1 mUrti-s, keep the 2n
mUrti-s in one box, and the other mUrti in a separate box, and
perform ArAdhNa separately for the two sets. Alternatively, perform
ArAdhanA for one pradhAna mUrti, and then perform naivedyam for the
remaining mUrti-s.

Based on the above, I feel that if any of us is in the situation
where we have either an odd number of sAlagrAma-s excepting one, or
only two mUrti-s, we just keep them separated such that

-       in the case of only two mUrti-s, we keep the two mUrti-s
separated, and perform ArAdhana for both the mUrti-s one after the
other,
-       in case of an odd number of mUrti-s, keep one mUrti separate
from the other mUrti-s, and perform ArAdhana as advised by mElpAkkam
svAmi.
-       If detailed ArAdhanA is performed for only one mUrti, the
mUrti that is kept separate from the rest might best be the pradhAna
mUrti.

With regard to whether there is an upper limit on the number of
sAlagrAma-s that can be worshipped, there does not seem to be such a
limit. Allan Shapiro in his Ph.D. thesis on the subject of sAlagrAma-
s (Ph.D. thesis, Columbia University, 1987), quotes from the
vaikhAnasa samhitA, and indicates that numbers such as 16, 20, 24,
32, 40, 88, 100, and 108, are associated with special benefits. The
generalization of this is that there is no upper limit to the number
that can be worshipped.

I read some posting recently that if one has a dvArakA-SilA, then
none of the restrictions with respect to numbers apply. I did not
find any mention of this rule in my references. In fact, the last
Sloka quoted above specifically states that even in the case of
dvArakA-SilA-s, two of them should not be worshipped together.

In summary, I would conclude that while the scriptures prescribe that
the number of sAlagrAmas to be worshipped should not be two, or odd
numbers other than one, mElpAkkam SrI narasimhAcArya svAmi's advice,
along with SrI M. S. Krishnamachari's comments regarding the
difficulty of ascertaining which of the sAlagrAma-s are genuine
sAlagrAma-s, would lead to the conclusion that worshipping any number
is permitted as long as we just keep the numbers separated so that
they conform to the SAstric injunction.

I would also conjecture that the rules regarding the number of
sAlagrAma-s to be worshipped only relate to the worship performed
with specific benefits in mind. This is purely my personal opinion.

-Krishnamachari

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
srirangasri-subscribe@yahoogroups.com