You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Mar 2003

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00041 Mar 2003

Mar 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya Nama:

Dear Sri Sudarshan Swamin and others,

These are just adiyEn's thoughts on this query. They
are not based on any vyakhyanams by acharyas, so
please bear with my ignorance.

I think Azhvar is trying to emphasize here that it is
not enough that He has entered his thought - "eNNam
pugunthu". It is quite that He enters the heart and
thoughts of many people, but in how many is He
actually sweet - "thiththippu". He was present even
in Hiranyakashipu's thought, but there the asura was
filled with bitterness at His thought. Many of us
think of Him but usually for some prayer or to offer
some thanks for something. In how many of us is the
mind sweet just because He is in our thoughts? It is
not enough that He enters our mind, the mind should
also delight in Him.

Madhurakavi Azhvar says the same: "niRkap pAdi en
nenjuL niRuththinAn". It is not enough that Azhvar
sings/writes pasurams that stay in my mind, but he
also has to make sure it stays there. It appears
redundant to say niRka and niRuththi. But the
emphasis is that niRka alone is insufficient, he
has to to also do the niRuththi (in a mind as low
as mine).

Thiruppanzhvar too says something similar: "ennaith
than vAram Akki vaiththAn, vaiththathu anRi en uL
pugunthAn". It is not enough that He makes me His,
He also has to enter me (so that that karmas do not
come back again).

The other way of looking at it is: It is not that the
mind delights in His presence within it. It is He
who delights in the fact that He has entered Azhvar's
mind. That is, "eNNam pugunthu (athanAl) thiththikkum
amudhE". He has found great pleasure in having
secured Azhvar's mind. This is similar to the thought
that Sri Desikar expressed in Munivahana Bhogam about
Thiruppanazhvar's words, "gOra mA thavam seythanan
kol aRiyEn arangaththammAn". While the traditional
interpretation here is that Thiruppanazhvar is
wondering what penance he had done for Him to enter
his mind, Desikar's interpretation is that azhvar is
wondering what penance has He done to get azhvar.

Therefore, it is not enough that the sweet nectar
(amudhu) has enetered one's thoughts, but that the
mind as well as Him have delighted in that.

These are just adiyEn's ramblings. The correct thing
to do would be to get pUrvacharya's vyakhyanams for
this pasuram and post them.

adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan
TCA Venkatesan