You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Mar 2007

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00035 Mar 2007

Mar 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

Dear AasthikALs :

Let us study the other two Saamans used in Kumbha
Pratishtai now .

Saaman 352 : Baarhapathya BharadhvAjar is
the Rishi , Indhran is the dEvathA and the chandas
is anushtup.

Pratyasmai pipivate viSvAni vidhushE bhara
arangamAya jagmayE paSchAdadhvanE nara:
---- Cf: Saaman 1440 and Rg Vedam : VI.42.1

(Meaning): " May You offer the homage to Him , who is
desirous to relish it , who knows all things , whose
movements are all sufficient and who goes to help
sacred , selfless works.He is always a true leader ,
never a follower " .

Reflections on this Saaman: DevatA is Indra here. Indra
in Saama VedA like Agni are other names for the Supreme
Reality , the antharyAmi Brahman inside the two dEvathAs.
This Supreme Reality is Sarvajn~an ( "wisdom personified") ,
resplendent , sarva Sakthan ( Omnipotent ) ; He is the great Law
( Rta ) . He  expects obedience for that Rta from His devotees .
The path of Rta is not easy to travel and He is always with You
in the difficult to travel route of Rta. Hence the devotees
recognize Him as a dear friend and adore Him ( Mithramiva
priyam sthushE) . He is invited to accept the devotees'
Saaman chant filled with devotion ( gOpeeTAya pra hUyasE).
He is saluted as the knower of all of our paths ( gAthuvitthama:).
He is the best Leader(nrutamam)  and as such accomplishes
every thing He wishes without the help of anyone else.
He is bounteous and rich (magavAn). He listens quicly to
our invocations for protection ( uthayE mruNvantham)
and rushes to us for help.

Saaman 459: DhaivodAsi ParucchEpa Rishi  , IndhrA
is the dEavthA , athijagathi is the Chandas .

Eindra yAhyupa na: paravatO nAyamacchA vidhaTAneeva
satpatir astA rAjEva satpati:

havamahE ThvA prayasvantha: sutEshvA putrAsO na pitharam
vAjasAtayE marrhishtam vAjasAthayE
---- Cf: Rg Vedam : I.130.1

(Meaning): " Come to us from afar , Oh resplendent Lord ,
the protector of good ; like a king ,the protector of good,
who comes back to one's home . We, the producers of food
are invoking You with our devotional prayers . Like sons
inviting their fathers , we are inviting You for the procurement
of food--You the generous one for the procurement of
abstract foods ".

Reflections on this Saaman: The prayer here is similar to
the 14th Saaman : " Day and night , we approach You ,
Oh Lord, with reverential homage through sublime thoughts
and noble deeds ." In the 23rd Saaman , the prayer is : " May You
come to the pious devotee and be enshrined in his heart".
For the Lord coming from afar , the 25th Saaman suggests that
He harness His well-trained , fast-moving horses to come
quickly to the side of the devotee calling for Him.

In His role as the sustainer of the Universal Law and therefore
ruling as a King, the Lord is invited to come back to one's home .
Laudations are offered to that adorable Lord as their King .Here ,
the devotional prayers are the food for the Lord ( King).

The procurement of abstract foods referred to in this Kumbha
Pratishtai Mantram can be visualized as the ingredients needed
for Soma Yaaga , where a ritualistic presentation of Soma Juice is
offered . "Abstract Foods " of DevAs could be likened to the abstract
definition of Soma juice as truth ( Sathyam) , Prosperity ( SrI:)
and light ( JyOthi) : " sathyam vai SrI JyOthi: Soma: "
--- Sathapatha BrAhmaNa : VI.1.3.10

We will conclude this Kumbha Pratishtai section with
an evocative prayer (Saaman 209) echoing the appeal
of devotees for the Lord to join them : " Oh Resplendent
Lord, brave and heroic, We have come to You with plentiful
divine prayers , dedicated especially to You . Oh Lord of
selfless benovolence and supreme protection , May we have
numerous opportunities of offering our heartfelt sentiments
to such a glorious Lord as You are ".

NamO Veda PurushAya,
Daasan , Oppiliappan Koil V.Sadagopan

Home Page